Exporting .dwg to arcmap

09-07-2016 03:22 AM
SBreckan
New Contributor II

Hi,

I've seen this question asked before, but I cannot find a solution that works for me and hoping someone knows of a new trick:

I have a few dwg autocad files/drawings that I want to use in arcmap (10.1). I've exported several dwgs to shapefiles using autocad(3D Map 2013)  before, it worked perfectly. Now, I have three 3D drawings that I really need for my GIS analysis that won't export right, I get the error message "no entity to export" in autocad, no matter what I choose: point/line/polygon or what attributes and layers I select or deselect. If I just add the .dwg directly into arcmap nothing appears and the attribute table is empty, for all parts of the dwg: polyline, polygon and points.

I have tried saving the files as 2010 .dwg as I understand that arcmap don't like 2012-2014 version dwgs. I have checked for locked layers, there are none. I have made sure the coordinate system is correct according to the map I've added them too, and added the dwgs to completely empty maps also. I have read/write permission on the dwg's locations, I have moved them around and nothing changes. I have also tried exploding the dwgs, but that does not help.

Does anyone have a solution/suggestion?

I have some years of experience with ArcGIS, not so much with autocad. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

This is what I generally want to do when it comes to CAD....

"I have also tried exploding the dwgs.."

But seriously though, post an example here and perhaps someone can have a look.

0 Kudos
SBreckan
New Contributor II

Haha, thanks for the laugh, Neil  As mentioned to Adrian, I unfortunately cannot post any of the files I am having problems with here, I wish I could.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

As a general comment, I'll second what Adrian Welsh stated in regards to the many advances ESRI has made in recent versions in regards to CAD - GIS conversion; many strides have been made and it is much easier now.  It used to be real "hit or miss" as to whether things could come across and one would often have to employ several methods to transfer all the information, then add it together and clean it all up.

As to your specific issue, I don't know if this is the cause, but I will mention it as it can be a common issue (it is something I run into alot).  What may be going on is the 3D format is causing the issue.  The CAD file likely contains Z values, but the GIS format you are trying to export it to doesn't handle them.  What one can do to solve this is to use the Environments settings to disable to Z values when importing the CAD data.  The following help article, though it is for a slightly different issue, covers the process:

How To: Remove Z- and/or M-values from a feature class 

If by chance the issue is on the CAD side, here's a post with a similar issue on the Autodesk Forums that may provide some insight:

MAPEXPORT Xref - Autodesk Community 

Note that XREFS are often a major culprit when transferring AutoCAD data to GIS.  If you have access to AutoCAD, it can be helpful to embed the XREFS before trying to do the transfer to GIS.

Also, I'll throw out a software package that I've used in the past and found to be very helpful with CAD to GIS conversion.  You can download a Trial Version and see if it helps.

DWG to SHP| DXF to SHP|The Easiest, Fastest SHP Converter - Free trial Download - CAD2Shape 7.0 - gu... 

Chris Donohue, GISP

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

S Breckan,

Take a look at this blog post

https://community.esri.com/projects/cad-to-gis-integration-for-departments-of-transportation/blog/20... 

There is a tool in there that might help you. It's the CAD to GIS Without Surface tool.

You can download it directly here:

http://esridot.maps.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/17ac977bca1e4f02ae2165c8b99cd33b/data