Extract Values to Points

Jump to solution
06-04-2012 02:19 PM
StephenChignell
New Contributor II
Hi everyone,

This may be a pretty basic question to answer, but it's been awhile since I've done something like this.

I've got a vegetation coverage map (raster) of my AOI and I want to do a rough check to see how accurate the model used to make the map was.  I'll be driving through the area tomorrow so I've created 50 random points along the road file in arcMap, but now I want to see where each of those points falls in my raster (is it Spruce, Fir, etc.) so that I can check what they actually are tomorrow. 

What is the best way to do this?  I'm trying to use the "Extract Values to Points tool in Spatial Analyst, but it isn't bringing my classification column into the new table.

Also, is there a way to get the coordinates of each point to show up in the table as well so I could find them with a GPS unit?

Thanks!
Steve
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarcinGasior
Occasional Contributor III
If you want to move attributes from raster to points when using Extract Values to Points tool,
select option for 'Append all the input raster attributes to the output point features (optional)'.

To calculate points coordinates, you can use Add XY Coordinates tool (Data Management -> Features -> Add XY Coordinates).
If your points are in Geographic Coordinate System, the output will be in decimal degrees.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarcinGasior
Occasional Contributor III
If you want to move attributes from raster to points when using Extract Values to Points tool,
select option for 'Append all the input raster attributes to the output point features (optional)'.

To calculate points coordinates, you can use Add XY Coordinates tool (Data Management -> Features -> Add XY Coordinates).
If your points are in Geographic Coordinate System, the output will be in decimal degrees.
0 Kudos
StephenChignell
New Contributor II
Works great. Thanks a lot!
0 Kudos