Extracting raster values based on lines

05-08-2012 01:25 PM
steveSuperczynski
New Contributor
What is the most effective way to extract raster values based on line features and export them to text file?

As some background, I have multiple raster datasets and a vector datasets which represent flight tracks. I would like to get the raster values under the flight overpass and export them to a text file. I want to analyze and compare this data based on location therefore I also need to have the location (lat/lon) of each point as well in order to plot them.

Thanks,
Steve
0 Kudos
2 Replies
PrasantaBhattarai
Esri Contributor
Hi Steve,
There might be different ways of doing it. Here's what I  I can think of.
1. Convert your line to points using feature vertices to points (requires ArcInfo). Densify the vertices on the line feature if you need more points.
2. Add XY Coordinates (requires ArcInfo) or calculate geometry from attribute table to get X and Y coordinate of the point feature.
3. Once you have the point features with X, and Y coordinate, you can use extract multi values to point (ArcGIS 10) to get information from multiple raster into the point feature.
4. You can then export the table.
0 Kudos
steveSuperczynski
New Contributor
Thanks that worked great! I did the first part a bit differently as I converted the line to points using the editor toolbar which allowed me to choose the distance between points. I may give the 'feature vertices to point' tool a try and see if its any easier.
0 Kudos