Feature Classes

Jump to solution
08-06-2015 12:35 PM
MikeFroese
New Contributor II

I am editing some electrical feature classes that have up to 5000 features . When I add the feature classes to a mxd and hit start editing it takes 3 or 4 minutes to start. When I scroll in the attribute tables it will freeze up for a couple of minutes no matter how slow I scroll.

Also I cannot highlight to many features because it freezes up. I have tried all kinds of tips and tricks on the web and nothing is working.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Ok, this was important to understand.

So it seems that your Feature Class is in an sde geodatabase. Next set of questions:

1. What is the storage type being used? (ST_Geometry, SDELOB, etc) [R-click on the Feature Class>Properties>General)
  2. What steps are being taken for Geodatabase maintenance? (Rebuild Indexes, Calculate Statistics, Analyze Datasets, regular sde gdb Compress, etc)

You may want to check some of these info with your DBA.

** You can also try copying that Feature Class from the file gdb, back into the sde gdb and check the performance.

0 Kudos
MikeFroese
New Contributor II

Sorry, They took the SDE and Oracle away. We are just storing data on a server that others can reach our data

0 Kudos
MikeFroese
New Contributor II

With this in mind, can a file GDB and a personal GDB swap back and forth without a problem

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

You can store your data in both the File gdb or the Personal gdb, but go through the below links to understand the benefits and difference:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//003n00000024000000

• Types of geodatabases

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisserver/9.3/java/index.htm#geodatabases/types_of_geodatabases.htm

AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Honestly, a bit confused with these information.

Maybe a screenshot of where the data is stored (in ArcCatalog interface) will help.

Also, in case the data is stored in a File gdb, which is on a Network Drive and being used by everyone. You may observe slow performance because of the network being involved, in which case discussing with the IT Team might help.

0 Kudos
MikeFroese
New Contributor II

Sorry, I am a CAD and GIS guy. I have to do both in my job!

I guess what I need to know is if I work in a file GDB can it flawlessly be put into the personal GDB on the server that everyone looks at? I will work on FC's and then put them on the server - the powers to be set up personal GDB and that is what we send off when the company gives us a data call

Does this make sense

Thanks

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is your database residing on a network? This could also impact the performance.

Think Location
MikeFroese
New Contributor II

The data is residing on a network drive for all to view.

The question is if I work in a file GDB can it be put into a personal GDB with no problems? This is what the powers to be set it up as. But I have better performance in file GDB than personal GDB.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

The point that we have been trying to make is:-- The difference in performance may not be because of File gdb vs Personal gdb! It may rather be local drive vs Shared Network Drive.

What happens if you keep the File gdb on the network drive and then try to access it?

** You should not face any issues while copying data from the File gdb to the Personal gdb.

0 Kudos