Feature dataset spatial reference match issues

03-29-2012 07:44 AM
StevenChristopher
New Contributor
Using ArcGIS 10.0, Build 3600, ArcInfo license

Hi, so here's my problem; hopefully someone has found a fix for this.  I have data in a File GDB feature dataset with geographic projection.  I am reprojecting this data to a planar projection, and want to save it in a different feature dataset in the same GDB, only with the planar projection.  When I run the Project tool, I import the spatial reference from the empty feature dataset, and set the output feature class (with a unique name) to the empty feature dataset.  The Project tool runs without issue, but the reprojected output feature class is saved in the root of the GDB.  When I try to drag and drop this into the intended feature dataset, I get the "spatial references do not match error".  I know I can force the feature class into the feature dataset using the Feature Class to Feature Class tool and giving the file a new name, but why won't the Project tool put the outputs in my feature dataset, and why can't I drag and drop?

I have been having this problem for a while, at Arc 10 and before.  Any help would be greatly appreciated and would save me lots of clicks!

Thanks,
Carter
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JoshThompson1
Occasional Contributor II
Carter,

I also have run into this issue and have worked with ESRI Tech Support.  Basically, you cannot use the PROJECT tool and specify the output location into a feature dataset.  (Note:  the PROJECT GUI that comes up is misleading in that one of the parameters is "Output Dataset of Feature Class".)  For the output, you will need to "place" the new feature class directly into the geodatabase and not into a feature dataset.  Then you will need to take the second step in order to get it into your desired feature dataset.  Therefore, you need to do this as a two-step process.

===========================================

Here is a portion of the response I received from Tech Support:

I understand that you are facing a problem with "Project tool and geoprocessing history output."

As per our discussion over the phone, I found a known bug #NIM013677 concerning When projecting a single feature class, allow the Project Tool to write output to a Feature Dataset (FDS) by having the tool get the projection from the output FDS that the user selects.

I have added your incident to the same. For updates on this issue, please see the ESRI Customer Care Portal by going to https://customers.esri.com or contact ESRI Support Services.

The status of this bug is rejected stating that "Because in script, the tool cannot know it is dataset or featureclass. It is by design not taking dataset/featureclass".

===========================================

Just a few additional points to keep in mind:

1.  If you do specify the output location as a feature dataset, the projection will run just fine, however as you have already mentioned, it will not place the output feature class in the right place.  It will not give you any sort of message to the user.  Also, the metadata Geoprocessing History will not record any history for this action.  (However, apparently if you specify the output location as directly into the geodatabase level, the Geoprocessing History will be updated.

2.  With regard to the message "spatial references do not match error" when trying to copy-and-paste, I suspect that this may have something to do with a difference in the spatial domains.  To get the new feature class into the desired feature dataset, I used "Import" to get it there, which I think uses the same tool as "Feature_Class_to_Feature_Class" tool.  However, this is where the user needs to be very careful in that if the feature class you wish to copy into the feature dataset has a different coordinate system from the target feature dataset, the tool will work just fine without any sort of warning of what you just did.  For the new (just copied) feature class, the metadata spatial reference will now "inherit" the spatial reference of the feature dataset., but as far as I can tell, no reprojection has been performed.

In short, since this is a two-step process, be very careful of how you proceed as it is very easy to get tripped up without any sort of warnings or error messages. 

Josh
BernardMcDermott
New Contributor
Josh,

I am not sure if this will help you.  I too was trying to convert a projection to Ohio North but could not get it to "stick".  After many failed attempts I was able to do it by creating a layer of each feature class, then projecting it in Ohio North and making sure it went to the db (per ESRI) I was attempting to fill with various shapefiles.  Hope you have found a fix already.

Bud
0 Kudos
JoshThompson1
Occasional Contributor II
Bud,

Thanks for the info.  You are correct in that it needs to go directly into the geodatabase.

Josh
0 Kudos
BernardMcDermott
New Contributor
Josh,

That method only worked the one time.  I have attempted re-projecting another set of data and now it is not working.  Back to the beginning.
0 Kudos
KenCarrier
Occasional Contributor III
1. Project the layer to the same spatial reference as your featuredataset *This should create a new file, I would just write to a shapefile or empty file gdb
2. Import the layer into your featuredataset using ArcCatalog by right clicking the FD and choosing import, since you projected using the same spatial reference and extents as your featuredataset it should import seamlessly.

This has always worked for me when objects are using different projections
0 Kudos
NateBradshaw
New Contributor III
Try using the Copy Features tool under Data Management Tools/Features.