Field Calculator

04-06-2012 01:24 PM
ShanaHarmsen
New Contributor II
is it not possible to use the field calculator to populte a matching field in a table join?  it's not working for me...field types match, so not sure why it's not working.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor
Hello,

Just for clarification, you have a table join and would like to use Field Calculator to populate values from the non-joined fields into a joined field. Is that correct?

Could you please clarify what you mean by a Matching field? Is this the joined field?

Thank you.
0 Kudos
JoshThompson1
Occasional Contributor II
Shanah,

The field calculator can be quite quirky.  Below is a link to another related posting.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/41608-error-calculating-a-field-using-field-calculator?p=147189#pos...

I have personally run into a couple of instances where the calculator will not work:

1. If your layer name in the Table of Contents has extra spaces at the end. (Fix: remove any extra spaces)

2. If your layer name in the Table of Contents has has a slash "/". (Fix: remove "/")

I don't know if recent Srvice Packs have addressed these issues.

Josh
0 Kudos
ShanaHarmsen
New Contributor II
I've got it working - I was just trying to field calculate too much at one time.  It was a joined table - where one table had the information I wanted and the other table had the empty field to populate with that information. Thanks
0 Kudos