File Geodatabase too large

09-09-2010 01:02 AM
RobNaitachal
New Contributor
Hi there,

I have organized my data into a file geodatabase. It contains 4 raster datasets (maps) with about 100 MB uncompressed size each. It contains ~18 shape files wite point, polygone and line data. Each of those shape file contains less than 100 individual entries.

The complete gdb-folder has a size of 3.7 GB (!) and i dont understand where that might come from. I have checked the content of the database folder and found a single very large file (a00000033.gdbtable) with 3.3 GB. I had tried to import a very large map into the database once (250 MB compressed as ecw-file), but after the importing process finished the map never showed up in the database. Could it be that it is still somehow present but unacessible/invisible?

Does anyone have an idea how to procceed?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
LanceShipman
Esri Regular Contributor
In ArcCatalog:
1) Right click on your file geodatabase.
2) Choose "Compact" from the menu.
0 Kudos
MeghanMcGaffin
New Contributor
I'm having the same issue.  I had a raster catalog which I deleted.
I have used a script to populate a "Raster" column to an external source of tifs.  My file geodatabase was 27.5 G before I compacted it and its still 21.16.  This is way too large. What other options do I have?  Is it because I mapped a path to a raster for 6,000 features?  Though that doesn't seem logical as the rasters are external to the database.  Any help would appreciated before I have to can all this work.
0 Kudos
yimingji
New Contributor
I'm having the same issue.  I had a raster catalog which I deleted.
I have used a script to populate a "Raster" column to an external source of tifs.  My file geodatabase was 27.5 G before I compacted it and its still 21.16.  This is way too large. What other options do I have?  Is it because I mapped a path to a raster for 6,000 features?  Though that doesn't seem logical as the rasters are external to the database.  Any help would appreciated before I have to can all this work.

When you create the raster catalog, you can choose from managed or unmanaged option. The unmanaged option would onle contain the link to the raster data instead of saving the data within the geodatabase. I reckon in this manner your database should not be as large as 20 or so G.
0 Kudos
DominicOppedisano
New Contributor
In ArcCatalog:
1) Right click on your file geodatabase.
2) Choose "Compact" from the menu.

Compact did not work on my same problem.  Raster dataset of 100 or so jp2s has a 12gb .gdbtable file.  Total size of folder outside of gdb is a little over 1gb.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks
0 Kudos
PeteKennedy
New Contributor
Compact did not work on my same problem.  Raster dataset of 100 or so jp2s has a 12gb .gdbtable file.  Total size of folder outside of gdb is a little over 1gb.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks

I had a student having the same problem. He deleted the raster catalog and raster dataset but the a00000013.gdbtable was still there and huge. To solve the problem, we created a new geodatabase and copied everything (except the raster data) to the new gdb. The a00000013.gdbtable was not copied.
JoshMarcinik
New Contributor

Same exact issue randomly popped up (ten years later) and apparently this is still the only solution. Compressing the GDB didn't have any effect.

0 Kudos