freehand digitizing correction

Jump to solution
05-22-2013 06:18 AM
MatthewUpchurch
New Contributor II
Hi,

Does anyone know how to delete vertices (i.e. back up) in ArcMap 10 while drawing in freehand in the construction tools?  I was just curious if there was a way to do this without having to go ahead and complete the polygon and then go back and edit the vertices post completion. Thanks!

Matthew
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
Matthew -

One option to set up is on Editor Options->General tab and set the "Group xx points" to 25 or 50 points.  As you're stream digitizing and make a mistake, stop Stream Editing and click the Undo button on the Standard toolbar.  This will delete 25 or 50 vertices created without having to stop editing without saving the edits and losing the feature.

Good luck!

-Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
Far as I can see, there is no way to do that. You could either create the feature using the bezier curve segments tool, or turn on "Stream Mode" under Editing >> Options (this would emulate the freehand tool).
Regards,
Jim
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
Matthew -

One option to set up is on Editor Options->General tab and set the "Group xx points" to 25 or 50 points.  As you're stream digitizing and make a mistake, stop Stream Editing and click the Undo button on the Standard toolbar.  This will delete 25 or 50 vertices created without having to stop editing without saving the edits and losing the feature.

Good luck!

-Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Hi,

Does anyone know how to delete vertices (i.e. back up) in ArcMap 10 while drawing in freehand in the construction tools?  I was just curious if there was a way to do this without having to go ahead and complete the polygon and then go back and edit the vertices post completion. Thanks!

Matthew

You should be able to right click directly on top of the last vertex placed in your editing sketch and delete it using the context menu.  The Delete Vertex context menu can delete a vertex at the beginning or middle of your sketch as well as the last vertex of the sketch.  (Correction from my prior statement that the context menu only worked on the last vertex, it actually works on any vertex).
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Press Control Z

[SUB][/SUB]
Hi,

Matthew
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Press Control Z

I should have thought of that.  It does the same thing as the Delete Vertex context menu option when that option is applied to the last vertex, only it is faster.  Ctrl-Z is limited to removing the last vertex one vertex at a time, while the context menu Delete Vertex can delete any vertex in the sketch by right clicking on top of the chosen vertex.
0 Kudos
TrishRice
Occasional Contributor III
This confounded me for the longest time too but it turned out to be really simple. 🙂 If you hover the mouse over the vertex and right click there should be an option to delete vertex while you are still sketching.  IIRC I think this only works in reverse order, like you can't skip back to the middle but you can delete each one in order back to the middle.
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
If it is at the point where you have to delete a bunch of vertices way back you might be just as well off using the Reshape Feature Tool.

As far as the Control Z.  You can keep executing it all the way back to your last save.  I just tried it to make sure and I did a line with 20 vertices and it allowed me to CTRL-Z all the way back to the start.  Did the same for a polygon.

This confounded me for the longest time too but it turned out to be really simple. 🙂 If you hover the mouse over the vertex and right click there should be an option to delete vertex while you are still sketching.  IIRC I think this only works in reverse order, like you can't skip back to the middle but you can delete each one in order back to the middle.
0 Kudos
TrishRice
Occasional Contributor III
(Correction from my prior statement that the context menu only worked on the last vertex, it actually works on any vertex).

Good to know.  It's been a while since I did any new sketching so I couldn't remember.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
MatthewUpchurch
New Contributor II
Thank you all very much for your input!
0 Kudos