getting data into replica gdb from parent gdb

01-17-2013 11:20 AM
ErikBlake
Occasional Contributor III
We are currently working in ArcGIS 10. We have a replica gdb of our data on sde. I added a couple of fields to the parent gdb. in this case our sde gdb. I was able to get the fields added to our replica gdb. But the data that was in those fields did not populate. I ran a synchornize data and still didn't push the data over. How do i get the data to populate.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MattSimmons
Occasional Contributor
In order to use replication, your "parent" database would be ArcSDE and your child replicas would likely be using SQL Server Express.  In this setup, you would create an empty personal gdb on the SQL server via ArcCatalog.  (In Database Servers, establish the connection to your SQL Server instance, then right click, and Create New Geodatabase.)

Then, you would use the "Create Replica" tool in the ArcGIS toolbox.  Using this tool, you first select the feature classes from ArcSDE parent database that you want to replicate to your child database(s), and then select the child database to replicate to.  This populates the child replica with the feature classes you selected.

Synchronization occurs only after you have made edits to your child replicas.  Once you have performed edits to the replica database, you would use "Synchronize changes" (ArcCatalog, rt click the replica -> Distributed Geodatabase -> Synchronize Changes).  This pushes only the edits to the parent ArcSDE database.  From your description it read as though you understood synchronization backwards.
0 Kudos
MattSimmons
Occasional Contributor
One more thing: if you are adding fields to the database, you cannot do this to the child replica.  This is like a schema change and must occur at the parent (SDE.DEFAULT) level.  You must add fields to the parent database prior to any replication or synchronization.  This is because once a field is added to the parent database, it will no longer synchronize with the child replicas because the database schemas are no longer identical.
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
Erik,

Simply stated, you'll have to recreate the Replica to populate data in the new fields.

Regards,
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
We are currently working in ArcGIS 10. We have a replica gdb of our data on sde. I added a couple of fields to the parent gdb. in this case our sde gdb. I was able to get the fields added to our replica gdb. But the data that was in those fields did not populate. I ran a synchornize data and still didn't push the data over. How do i get the data to populate.

Hi Erik,

Take a look at the following article.  You can follow these steps to update the schema of your child geodatabase.  After the schema is updated, you can synchronize the edits from your parent to child geodatabase.
0 Kudos