Help with a Traverse please!

02-21-2013 06:40 AM
CliffTodd
New Contributor
Hi everyone,
I'm still relatively new to using the Traverse tool and while putting in a long description I came across this and I don't know how to enter it - help please!

�?�thence along an arc with a radius of 350 feet and a 114.26 foot chord distance bearing N27-35-22E, 114.77 feet�?�

Your help and explanations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Cliff
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
HardolphWasteneys
Occasional Contributor III
Hi everyone,
I'm still relatively new to using the Traverse tool and while putting in a long description I came across this and I don't know how to enter it - help please!

�?�thence along an arc with a radius of 350 feet and a 114.26 foot chord distance bearing N27-35-22E, 114.77 feet�?�

Your help and explanations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Cliff

Cliff,

... means that from the point you are at define a point 114.77 feet on the bearing 27 deg 35' 22" and establish a circular curve with radius 350 feet probably tangent to the start point and stopping at the new point.  Start by assuming tangency since they have not defined which side of the chord the curve is on and you can draw the curve without defining the azimuth of the chord, but if that is not correct then draw the chord first and then draw the curve between the start and end points.  (All right click and select functions I presume you are familiar with).

Hardolph
0 Kudos
CliffTodd
New Contributor
Cliff,

... means that from the point you are at define a point 114.77 feet on the bearing 27 deg 35' 22" and establish a circular curve with radius 350 feet probably tangent to the start point and stopping at the new point.  Start by assuming tangency since they have not defined which side of the chord the curve is on and you can draw the curve without defining the azimuth of the chord, but if that is not correct then draw the chord first and then draw the curve between the start and end points.  (All right click and select functions I presume you are familiar with).

Hardolph

Hi Hardolph,
My shape is going to cover a large area (4 page description!) so I have been using the Traverse tool so that I could save the traverse to a file - I'm not sure how to enter that description using the tool as shown - curve?  Tangent curve?  Thanks for the help, this is still a new adventure, LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22054[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
HardolphWasteneys
Occasional Contributor III
Cliff,

Essentially the COGO description window allows you to specify 2 aspects of how to get to the next point and the type of line:  You specify curve in the first pull down at the top, then pull down chord and enter the chord direction and length and then radius of the arc and then left or right of the curve.  There are several alternate ways to describe a curve so that's why the pull downs. (caveat; I don't use COGO, but the geometry is pretty straightforward).

If you were drawing this without COGO you would use the curve tool in advanced editing with snapping set to vertices and having already placed the start and end point using a right-click with the sketch tool from the start point and then direction-distance to mark the end points of the chord.  (No need to consider a tangent curve)

here's the help description

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22066[/ATTACH]

Hardolph
0 Kudos