How can I find a shapefile of all restaurants and bakeries in California? Or a free list of addresses to Geocode?

04-16-2015 09:08 AM
MelissaTraverso1
New Contributor II

Hi I am currently trying to search for restaurant (of all types) and bakeries in California. I am thinking finding a shapefile of this is pretty unlikely but was wondering where I might find a free comprehensive list of addresses that I could then geocode within arcmap? Can google maps or google earth provide this for me?

Thanks,

Melissa

Tags (1)
37 Replies
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

Although not a free option, Esri Community could easily provide this data set. There is a free trial too - Esri Community Analyst | Free Trial

MelissaTraverso1
New Contributor II

Hi Timothy,

Are you familiar with using the community analyst tool? I have registered for a free trial and I am on the interface right now. I am trying to search business locations by searching "restaurants in california" and only about 10 locations pop up. Is this because it is the free trial and won't give me roughly all 79,000 I need? It allows me to export the table into excel which is perfect but I can't get it to search for very many options. if you have any tips please let me know.

Thanks,

Melissa

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It would make a huge amount of sense to me that the trial version is severely limited/impaired.  Was there anything in the documentation about it.  It won't happen that you are going to get all the data you want unless that company is really, really clueless

0 Kudos
RakeshSinha
Occasional Contributor

Hi Melissa,

In order to search for businesses or facilities with Community Analyst or for that matter BAO, you need to directly use the term such as ‘Restaurants’ and it will pull the list of all the restaurants in the USA. If you are just looking for restaurants in California you can add geography of California and then limit the number of restaurants within the California boundary.

The limitation for the number of search results is 5000 and hence you might have to break down the geography (California) into counties to pull all the Restaurants in California.

The trial version comes with all the functionalities that the application offers. It’s just that you get 200 credits to work with and once that is consumed you won’t be able to access the application.

I hope this helps!

MelissaTraverso1
New Contributor II

Hi Rakesh,

Thanks for the help! Do you know what counts as a "credit" within this tool?

Thanks,

Melissa

0 Kudos
RakeshSinha
Occasional Contributor

Hi Melissa,

These links explain the service credit and their consumption in detail:

ArcGIS Online | Service Credits

ArcGIS Online | Credits Estimator

I hope this helps!

MelissaTraverso1
New Contributor II

Hi Rakesh,

Thanks for the info. It looked like everything was going smoothly doing it by county and using the 5000 max limit until I tried to export the data as an excel file it would only let me extract 250 points from the list of ~3400 in Alameda County alone. I am curious if even purchasing the tool will allow me to extract everything I need to an excel file. I am definitely curious to get an estimate on the license for this tool.

0 Kudos
RakeshSinha
Occasional Contributor

Melissa,

Dun & Bradstreet has a limitation of 250.You can probably try saving the search output and sharing it as a layer to your ArcGIS Online account. It will allow you to download it to the desktop from there.

MelissaTraverso1
New Contributor II

Hi Rakesh,

I am unsure how to share my layers to my ArcGIS online. Can you assist?

Thanks,

Melissa

0 Kudos
MelissaTraverso1
New Contributor II

I actually figured out how to share it and I can see it in my ArcGIS online but I don't see an option to create CSV

0 Kudos