how to convert from geocoding?

06-05-2010 08:32 PM
ChannaraRIN
New Contributor
Dear all,
i build geocode/address locator and then i put shape file for address searching. and all address is range on the polylines. so can i convert from address range on the polylines to points for each address range?

example  one polyline has odd address range on the left side is 1 to 9. so create the 5 points on the left side (each point store house number 1,3,5,7,9)

thank you
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
Why did you want to convert the lines into points?
0 Kudos
ChannaraRIN
New Contributor
it is exact location then address range and  use with another application.
0 Kudos
JMontgomery
New Contributor
Chan,

Did you figure this out yet. I too would like to offset the point for each range. I have special districts that share topology with centerlines and are address dependant. (example: Left Range falls in one district. Right range falls in a different district)

TIA
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I think you guys are missing the point (no puns intended) on how to use streets as a reference when geocoding.  I make a handsome living geocoding against street centerlines because A) they are readily accessible, B) they are pretty accurate, and C) they are easy to work with as far as setting up a locator.

But think about it; when it comes to geocoding and spatial precision, streets are only a generalized representation what we expect to find along a given segment.  Let's say you have a segment that is ranged from 100 -198 on the even side and 101-199 on the odd side.  If you geocode house number 150, it's going to interpolate the point right about the middle of the block on the even side, right?  Accurate, but probably not precise.  There may not be a house with the number 150 painted on the mailbox, and even if there is, I'd bet my last dollar it's not smack dab in the middle of the block. For that matter, are there really 198 addresses on that street?  Probably not!

Here is another example; lets say you have an intersection of 13th & Main;  Depending on your grid system, it may geocode as such, or 1300 Main St may hit as well.  So, which segment of Main does that point reference? The begin node of one or the end node of the other? Does it much matter?  If Main ST t-bones into 13th, and the range on Main stops at 1298 and 1299, 1300 won't hit.  Clearly there is no house there, but in the 9-1-1 business there is always a lot of action in intersections.

The trend I'm pursuing is to use point data derived from actual parcel addresses along the streets.  That way I know precisely where house number 150 is, and I'll composite the streets to the parcel points as a back up to find those 'generalized' addresses.  In fact, I just took a question a few moments ago about intersections from one of my clients; cops are famous for simply calling in two named streets like 13th & Main for traffic stops.

Long story short; centerlines are for accuracy, not precision.  If you want to know the true range of a street, look at the parcels.

Hope this helps (and everybody stayed awake to the end...)
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JMontgomery
New Contributor
Thanks - I figured it out. I have an almost complete centerline (split-node to node) with address ranges that were manually entered using assessor books for left and right situs address ranges. The street direction for each segment is corrected too. In my case (for this specific task) I only needed to geocode the actual left side of the road and right side of the road using only the "address ranges". I know it sounds redundant - However, I too had the need for unique "geocoded address ranges" to be imported into a dispatch type system. It was fairly straight forward.
0 Kudos
JMontgomery
New Contributor
BTW- Using parcels (X,Y centroids - containing situs attributes) will work in postage stamp blocks. One will run into problem if there are shared easements or if access to the road for a specific parcel is not where the mailbox should be. This causes havock with emergency responders in non-rural areas.
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
BTW- Using parcels (X,Y centroids - containing situs attributes) will work in postage stamp blocks. One will run into problem if there are shared easements or if access to the road for a specific parcel is not where the mailbox should be. This causes havock with emergency responders in non-rural areas.

I've got a nifty little tool that looks at a parcel's situs address, and then moves the centroid of that polygon to front the parcel at the street that matches the situs address. So far it's worked pretty well for me, and I  work primarily in urban sub-urban settings. 

All the best-
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos