How to deal with corrupted raster data in arcsde?

01-14-2014 05:24 AM
RobertBuckley1
Occasional Contributor
I have been trying to import Raster data into an ArcSDE 9.3 FGB in MSSQL Server. Due to unknown factors (but probably due to the size of the data and network) this has failed now on 3 occasions leaving me with massive datasets which are corrupt. We are talking about 4 Datasets of around 200gb Each. On the last occasion, I wasn´t aware that the MSSQL Transactional log would grow to the same size as the file I was trying to import (270GB) and had to cancel the copy operation in ArcCatalog due to the hard drive being full.

So now I have massive databases full of corrupt data. I am looking for a solution on how to delete the corrupt files out of the sde databases without corrupting the whole database. ArcCatalog give the error "cannot delete raster" when I try to delete it...so I need to do it from MSSQL Server.

Could anyone tell me how to remove these file from arcsde 9.3?

Thanks for any help,

Robert
0 Kudos
2 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Its extremely difficult to give specific advice without a lot more details.  Normally this
would be something Tech Support could help with, but ArcGIS 9.3 moved to "Retired"
support status with the new year.  You should still make the request, though.

Given your description of the state of your database, you might find it easier to copy
out the vector data into a new database (at the same release level of your ArcGIS
Desktop -- 10.0sp5 or higher), then make another database as a transition space to
copy the undamaged rasters, then detach the old database and toss the datafiles on
a USB drive (just in case).

Once your instance is stable, then you'll have some time to research transition to
modern file-based raster management techniques with ArcGIS 10.x.

- V
0 Kudos
HaileyMonod
New Contributor III
Hello,

I have a potentially related question:

I have deleted a raster dataset in ArcCatalog (simply by right clicking and choosing delete). The data is stored in an ArcSDE geodatabase on an SQL Server.
However, the dataset continues to appear/remain visible in the table of contents in ArcCatalog. Even though its disfunctional/ well actually deleted.

How can I remove it completely?

Thanks for your help in advance!
0 Kudos