How to maintain Index Names when importing an XML Workspace Document

05-16-2013 04:12 AM
PaulBrandt
New Contributor III
I used the ArcGIS Diagrammer tool for 10.1 to build my geodatabase (very cool for an initial release, but has some productivity enhancement potential), but when I import the XML Workspace Document the tool produces, all of my carefully named indexes are re-named to auto generated names. This is highly undesirable for my client. Is there any way to tell ArcGIS that I want to maintain the names in the XML? I am using ArcGIS 10.1 SP1 importing to an ArcSDE 10.1 SP1 Geodatabase on Oracle 11g R2.

Thank you for any advice.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanielBaternik
New Contributor III
Hi Paul,

Did you find a solution? I'm also having the same issue.

I've also found that when modelling unique indexes, post import the uniqueness constraint is removed. Did you have a similar issue too?

Dan
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Once the feature classes get created correctly in Oracle, why not extract the DDL for the indexes, drop them, and re-create them after modifying them with the desired names?  It's not an ideal workflow, perhaps due to the number of indexes involved but you could do it technically.  This can be done via SQL Plus if you don't have a nicer tool like DBArtisan or TOAD:

SELECT dbms_metadata.get_ddl('INDEX', 'IDX_NAME', 'SCHEMA') FROM dual;
DBMS_METADATA.GET_DDL('INDEX','IDX_NAME','SCHEMA');

What is the reason why you absolutely have to retain the exact same index names from your Diagrammer XML file when importing it into Oracle?
0 Kudos