How to open aerial imagery as .iso file ArcEditor 9.2

02-08-2012 06:19 AM
AndyNichols
New Contributor
I have a set of aerial photos that are in a .iso file format.  How do I open these in ArcEditor 9.2  They     were on a CD and I copied the files to my computer.  Thank you.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Andy,

What format (not the same as file extension) are the images?  I am not familiar with raster data being stored as .iso files.  Esri uses .iso files to distribute our software these days.  For example, ArcGIS 10.x software is provided in the form of downloadable .iso files after login with a valid user account on the Esri Customer Care Portal. An ISO file, often called an ISO Image, is in fact an "image" of an entire DVD.

After the ISO image file has been downloaded, it can be used directly from the system's hard drive as a virtual disk by using either an ISO image file extractor program to extract the files, or by using an ISO mounter program (e.g., Virtual CloneDrive). In addition, a copy can be created on physical media by using a DVD authoring program and DVD burner to burn the ISO image on DVD.

Do you know who made the aerials?

Best Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
AndyNichols
New Contributor
To my knowledge, they were made by a GIS company that did aerial photography for our region.  The data does not have another file type listed, although there is data from around this time frame that is usually .sid, .tif or .jpg.  The only file types located in this data set are .iso and .nri for each file.  Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
PrasantaBhattarai
Esri Contributor
I would give it a shot to extract the ISO file. These files could be extracted (like the zipped folder) using programs like 7z or WinRAR. Once you extract the ISO, you should see the images on the extracted folder (if the ISO file contains Images).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11797[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos