How to use Single House/Dual Range Option without using Zip field

03-20-2011 01:03 PM
AndrewJoseph
New Contributor
I am using address points that correspond to address locations for a city (Austin) I have a database of properties that I need to geocode. However, many of these properties have a full address but lack a zipcode. Is there a way of using single house or something like it without using zipcodes? I selected "none" for zip when making the locator but when I go to geocode it simply fails to match any of them.

I tried the same thing with the dual range using street centerlines and the same thing occurred. Because my data are residuals that failed to match on a PROP_ID field to a shapefile, many of these addresses are incomplete so it defeats the purpose of geocoding these addresses if I have to use ZIP fields.

Here are links to the datasets I am using as references for SH and Dual Range respectively:

METADATA: ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/GIS-Data/Regional/address_points/addpt.htm -Address Points
ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/GIS-Data/Regional/transportation/str_address.htm - Str_Address

I would greatly appreciate any help with this matter
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
KharimaMaude
New Contributor
I am having a very similar issue, so I hope one of the more knowledgeable users is able to provide some guidance. 

I have created a series of address locators, based on TIGER, for several counties in Minnesota.  After sorting through the unmatched records, I was able to identify a general pattern �?? namely �??incorrect�?� zip codes.  (I say �??incorrect�?� because many of these addresses/intersections have been confirmed through MapQuest/Google Maps/USPS, but the TIGER data is showing a different ZIP.)  I would like to run the address locators *without* ZIP info on our second go around, to pick up these remaining addresses/intersections.  However, as apj283 mentioned, any time I try to leave out the ZIP field, no records will match.

I feel as if I�??m missing something very obvious?  Admittedly, all I know about geocoding (and ArcGIS, for that matter) is what I�??ve managed to teach myself, but I feel like there�??s probably a simple resolution just staring me in the face.
0 Kudos
AndrewJoseph
New Contributor
I just contemplating if it would be possible to substitute another field that is meaningless, say  simply make a zipcode field where the number is exactly the same on each row, would the geocoding tool then simply ignore the field it would consider all addresses as within the same zipcode.

I also have grid codes for a map grid which I was wondering if I could substitute for zipcodes
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
What version of Arc GIS are you guys using?  I'm still at 9.3, and I'm not sure I see what the problem is...
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
KharimaMaude
New Contributor
Joe -- I am using version 10.
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Perhaps Bruce H from ESRI will chime in;  he's the go to guy for v10 geocoding!
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
AndrewJoseph
New Contributor
I am using 10 as well. It seems like there has to be a simple way to do this, I mean surely people have had addresses to geocode that didn't have zipcodes in the past.
0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor
The problem that you are encountering is a bug, NIM055232, at the final version of ArcGIS 10, which is resolved by installing service pack 1.
http://resources.arcgis.com/content/patches-and-service-packs?fa=viewPatch&PID=17&MetaID=1685
0 Kudos