Intermitent network I/O error when first connecting to ArcSDE

05-13-2010 09:50 AM
BobNutsch
New Contributor II
We are intermittently getting the error "Failed to connect to database. Network I/O Error" when opening an ArcSDE connection (9.3.1 client, 9.3.1 SDE, Oracle 11g) when using a 3-tier connection. When attempting to open a second time the connection works. We have turned on SDEVERBOSE and in the log from that we see:  SDE_Oracle Error: 942  ORA-00942: table or view does not exist.  Because it is intermittent ESRI support has not yet been able to identify the source of this problem.  If anyone has a thought of what we should check for please let me know, thanks!

Bob
0 Kudos
9 Replies
RobertWest
New Contributor
It's probably a long shot, but you might check how your logfiles (tables) are being created.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/geodatabase/10.0/sdk/arcsde/concepts/logfiles/basicprinciples/architecture...

I suspect tech support has already checked this, though. 

Robert
0 Kudos
JohnatanRojas
New Contributor
Did you find a solution to these problem?? I'm having the same problem when importing a Fetura class form another GDB.   SDE_Oracle Error: 942  ORA-00942: table or view does not exist.
0 Kudos
NAOMIPAUL
New Contributor III
We are intermittently getting the error "Failed to connect to database. Network I/O Error" when opening an ArcSDE connection (9.3.1 client, 9.3.1 SDE, Oracle 11g) when using a 3-tier connection. When attempting to open a second time the connection works. We have turned on SDEVERBOSE and in the log from that we see:  SDE_Oracle Error: 942  ORA-00942: table or view does not exist.  Because it is intermittent ESRI support has not yet been able to identify the source of this problem.  If anyone has a thought of what we should check for please let me know, thanks!

Bob

We are having a similar issue with 10 Client, 9.3.1 SDE and SQL 2008, any solutions or workarounds?
0 Kudos
FranWilk
New Contributor
We are having a similar issue with 10 Client, 9.3.1 SDE and SQL 2008, any solutions or workarounds?

that's strange  we are having the same issues as well since 1/3/12..

Any solutions yet.
0 Kudos
NAOMIPAUL
New Contributor III
that's strange  we are having the same issues as well since 1/3/12..

Any solutions yet.

This problem also started on 1/3/12 for us as well. It went away briefly after rebooting the SDE server on 1/4/12. Re-appeared for less than an hour on 1/9/12 and just happened again for about 15 minutes.

I have reported an this to ESRI, but no reason, answer or solutions. Our support incident is currently "on hold".
0 Kudos
AllanBenvin
New Contributor III
We regularly encounter this error in our batch replication processes.
The two versions of the error we get are:

SDE Code (-10): Network I/O error.  (during an sdeexport)
Or
Network I/O error, -2147216117   (during ArcObjects code)
0 Kudos
JimQuarles
New Contributor
We are still having this issue intermittently.  Has anyone heard of any resolutions?
0 Kudos
IanMcCrorie
New Contributor

Hi,

I realise this post was created a long time ago, however this is a problem we have only recently started seeing. We have connections to several SDE instances and this issue occurs with only one. Did anyone ever get a resolution as to what can couse this issue?

Regards

Ian McCrorie

0 Kudos
NAOMIPAUL
New Contributor III

Our ESRI Incident #996584 was put on hold on January 12, 2012 and we never heard anything again. The only recommendation given was to install our SQL SErver database on the same machine as SDE. I don't think the repesentative we were dealing with knew what he was doing.

0 Kudos