Intersection of more than 2 layers

03-27-2012 07:39 AM
JanettHanitzsch
New Contributor
Hi everybody,
I hope somebody could help me with the following problem (sorry for my english, I'm from germany):

I've got about 70 different shapefiles of different geological objects. All layers are touching or overlaying eachother. I've got a hierarchy how I want to order the different shapes because some are more important than others. So I have the less important shape drawn first (laying under all other shapes) and the most important shape drawn last (laying over all other shapes).
Now I want to intersect them all with eachother, so that I just get the parts of the shapes which are visible to me. I don't want to erase every part of any shape which has an overlap, just the ones which are visible.

Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?
Thank everybody very much for any answer
J.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RomainHerren
New Contributor
Hi, did you try the "intersect" tool? It's possible to have a multi layer input, and as a result you will have only one shape containing the attributes of all the other shapefiles.
0 Kudos
JanettHanitzsch
New Contributor
Hi Romain,
thanks for your reply.
Yes, I used the intersect-tool, it works with multilayer, unfortunately the output contains just the parts of the features which have all layers in common.
If I choose this way, I had to erase the intersect output in all layers but in the layer which is on top of all the others. and that's to much work because the erase-tool isn't working for more than one layer.
In fact I want to intersect all layers with eachother, and the output should contain the parts, which has every layer in common with eachother.
I want to detect the parts of the layers which have no overlay.

Thanks
J
0 Kudos