Labelling mutliple polygons at once

Jump to solution
06-20-2012 07:48 AM
CoreyHotard
New Contributor
I am trying to label multiple polygons in ArcMap 10 the same way without having to input one at a time in the attribute table.  Does ArcMap have a tool that will allow this (provided that the polygons are selected) without having to go through the attribute table (ie: putting the same label one at a time albeit typing or copying and pasting)?  Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Yes, I know what field calculator does!  My question is, "Is there another way to do this other than opening up the attribute table?"  Does anyone else have any thoughts?

The Attribute dialog available during an Editor session can do this.  Select the Editor selection tool (the black arrowhead) and right click on the Map interior to get the context menu.  Select Attributes from the context menu to open the Attribute dialog.  All selected records in the current editable workspace will appear in the upperhalf of the Attribute dialog window.  Select the header for a feature class or table in the upper window (the name of the layer above the individual records).  Now any entry you make in a field in the bottom window will be applied to all selected records in that feature class or table.  The attribute table never has to be opened with this workflow.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
It sounds as if you'd like one column to be all one value, and then label using that field, correct?  To do that, use the Field Calculator in the attribute table.  Right click on the field you want to label using, and then in the box at the bottom, type whatever value you want to use to label surrounded by quotes.  This will populate the whole field with that one value, which can then be used for labeling.  If this is not what you're looking for, elaborate if you will.
0 Kudos
CoreyHotard
New Contributor
Sorry, I realize I used the wrong term.  I meant, I am trying to attribute multiple polygons (not label) without having to go to the attribute table and attributing each polygon one by one.  For example, I create multiple polygons which need to have the same attribute.  I am asking is there a tool in Arc 10 that allows one to attribute all the selected polygons the same way (in the same field) without having to go to the attribute table to copy and paste the same information for each polygon.  I know that is probably clear as mud but trying to explain it the best way I can.  The problem is that the field can and will contain different attributes because this is a landuse polygon.  So calculate field will not help as it will change all to the same attribute.  Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
No problem; labeling or not, you can still use the field calculator to calculate values for a field.  If you have records selected, when you use the field calculator, it will only calculate values for those selected records.  If you want to calculate values for the whole field, make sure you don't have any records selected.
0 Kudos
CoreyHotard
New Contributor
Yes, I know what field calculator does!  My question is, "Is there another way to do this other than opening up the attribute table?"  Does anyone else have any thoughts?
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
Ah, I understand; I was stuck on the "one by one" part of your question, rather than the "open up the attribute table" bit.  There is the Calculate Field geoprocessing tool under Data Management > Fields, which is essentially the Field Calculator tool accessed outside of the attribute table.  Other than that, you can go into an Edit session and use the Attribute window, but maybe someone else has other ideas.
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

The Attribute dialog available during an Editor session can do this.  Select the Editor selection tool (the black arrowhead) and right click on the Map interior to get the context menu.  Select Attributes from the context menu to open the Attribute dialog.  All selected records in the current editable workspace will appear in the upperhalf of the Attribute dialog window.  Select the header for a feature class or table in the upper window (the name of the layer above the individual records).  Now any entry you make in a field in the bottom window will be applied to all selected records in that feature class or table.  The attribute table never has to be opened with this workflow.
0 Kudos
CoreyHotard
New Contributor
Thanks!  This is similar to "pasting attributes" in the attribute window but this way I don't have to copy from another polygon.  Much appreciated!
0 Kudos