Loading SSURGO soil data into the local government model

11-17-2011 08:39 AM
MikeMoore
New Contributor
Hi,

My name is Mike and I'm trying to figure out how to load SSURGO soil data into the local governement model. If anyone has suggestions or a workflow for this procedure, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AnnStark3
New Contributor
Any replies?  I attempted and it's just a big messy pile.  Esri please help!
0 Kudos
DaytonPoff
New Contributor III
Hi,

I'm sorry if I'm a little late to the party. I'm also trying to load SSURGO data into the LGDM.

From what I'm seeing the SSURGO data has two parts. The Mapunits which are the polygons actually representing different soils, and related tables called component tables that come as pipe delimited text files with no headings. To load all the data into the LGDM these tables have to be combined.

The following link (ESRI's SSURGO Downloader) does a great job of getting the process started. The data that you can download has a Mapunits Feature Class for your watershed that already includes a lot of the data from the components tables. I will refer to this table/feature class as "Mapunits_Merged" because it is the original SSURGO Mapunits table joined with the various components. Features from the Mapunits_Merged table can be directly imported into the LGDM once you figure out the field mapping. The problem is the component percentage fields that the LGDM ask for are not included with the Mapunits_Merged table.

There are two tools that can be downloaded from "ArcGIS Reources" that were probably used to make the transition from SSURGO data to geodatabase. According to the documentation the percentages missing from Mapunits_Merged are part of the output from these tools.

SSURGO Soils Tools: Part 1
SSURGO Soils Tools: Part 1

These tools require a geodatabase with two tables as inputs. One table being the original SSURGO Mapunits table and the other being the components table. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to get the pipe delimited text files into a readable format that can be used as an input for the two tools. I will be emailing the creators of the tools to find out how to derive the components table. I will update when I find out more info.

Sorry if you've already figured this out. Any additional information that I could use to help my data loading would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dayton
0 Kudos
LeithaSackmann
New Contributor II
Dayton,
Have you had any luck with figuring this out yet?
Leitha
0 Kudos
LeithaSackmann
New Contributor II
Just an update on the soils fc in the LGIM . . . as of Nov 20th, 2013, Scott Oppmann said during the "Configuring the ArcGIS for Local Government Information Model" Local Government Meetup, that there is no easy way to do this yet.
0 Kudos
ScottStopyak
Occasional Contributor II
Is there really any use for some crazy custom-made set of ssurgo attributes? SSURGO geodatabases have a ton of good info...most of which is really not pertinent to local government. Why couldn't you guys on the LGIM team at least use the same field names when calling for a common dataset? I'm beginning to think the LGIM team is being led by the Riddler. WTF?
0 Kudos