Metadata disappears from SDE geodatabase feature classes

10-14-2011 03:36 PM
GregoryTseng
New Contributor
Hello, I have a problem with FGDC metadata in feature classes that reside in SDE geodatabases.

All interaction between Desktop and SDE happens with version 10 products.

Here is what happens:
1. I have a feature class with FGDC metadata (has not been upgraded to ArcGIS Metadata)
2. I merely want to edit the ArcGIS Metadata so that its title is identical to the FGDC counterpart.
3. I use ArcCatalog and the new metadata editor to put a title in the ArcGIS Metadata.
4. I see that the title has been updated, and that the FGDC metadata has not been changed.
5. I click to another feature class, look at its metadata, and click back to my original feature class.
6. The title in the ArcGIS Metadata has disappeared, along with the entire FGDC metadata record.

This happens with Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2, and the recently released Service Pack 3.

Has anyone experienced this?
0 Kudos
15 Replies
JohnCannella
New Contributor
Yes...we've observed the same issue within the last three weeks.  Our steps might be slightly different but the end result was the same...metadata record lost.  We're working with v10 SP3.
0 Kudos
MandarPurohit
Esri Contributor
The above mentioned issue is found on a SQL Server geodatabase, and is encountered while editing metadata which is not upgraded to the latest version. The workaround for this issue is to upgrade the metadata using the Upgrade Metadata tool (ArcToolbox > Conversion Tools). 

This issue has been reported to the software developers with NIM074826.  Please contact the support team to identify if there is any other workflow that is also being affected by this issue.
0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger
Occasional Contributor III
I noticed after upgrading both Dev and Prod to 10.0 that all my spatial views lost their metadata.  Not only that but I have not been able to import any FGDC metadata into my spatial views.

env
SQL 2008 SP1 64-bit
ArcSDE 10.0  SP3  64-bit
0 Kudos
DeeptiVB
New Contributor II
Hello, I have a problem with FGDC metadata in feature classes that reside in SDE geodatabases.

All interaction between Desktop and SDE happens with version 10 products.

Here is what happens:
1. I have a feature class with FGDC metadata (has not been upgraded to ArcGIS Metadata)
2. I merely want to edit the ArcGIS Metadata so that its title is identical to the FGDC counterpart.
3. I use ArcCatalog and the new metadata editor to put a title in the ArcGIS Metadata.
4. I see that the title has been updated, and that the FGDC metadata has not been changed.
5. I click to another feature class, look at its metadata, and click back to my original feature class.
6. The title in the ArcGIS Metadata has disappeared, along with the entire FGDC metadata record.

This happens with Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2, and the recently released Service Pack 3.

Has anyone experienced this?

We have the same problem (V10 SP3) and one quick fix that seemed to work for us is after updating and saving, we also validate(press the validate button on the top menu.) The newly added metadata stays !

-Deepti
0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger
We have the same problem (V10 SP3) and one quick fix that seemed to work for us is after updating and saving, we also validate(press the validate button on the top menu.) The newly added metadata stays !

-Deepti

Deepti,
  I tried are workaround but the FGDC medata is already gone.  There is nothing to upgrade / update.
0 Kudos
EugeneYang
New Contributor
Can you double check whether this feature class is registered with geodatabase? You can find this out by right-clicking on the feature, and check whehter "Rgister with Geodatabase" is disabled or not.

If it is not registered with geodatabase, register it and try edit the metadata again. See if the metadata stays after registration.

Eugene
0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger
Can you double check whether this feature class is registered with geodatabase? You can find this out by right-clicking on the feature, and check whehter "Rgister with Geodatabase" is disabled or not.

If it is not registered with geodatabase, register it and try edit the metadata again. See if the metadata stays after registration.

Eugene

Yes, they are all registered.  The metadata was all there before the upgrade for ArcSDE from 9.3.1 to 10.0.  I swear that the first time I brought it up the metadata was there and then a second or two later it was got.
0 Kudos
GregoryTseng
New Contributor
Glad to know I'm not entirely crazy. I have tried to register the feature classes and still the metadata disappears.
0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger
Glad to know I'm not entirely crazy. I have tried to register the feature classes and still the metadata disappears.

We have some of the metadata in XML for the feature classes that those their's, however, the one's I've tested won't import.  It seems that ArcGIS 10 won't import some XML files exported from ArcGIS 9.3.   Looks like my new metadata workflow is going to involve lots of cutting and pasting and I'm not happy about that!
0 Kudos