Mosiac dataset consumes too much disk space during creation

03-06-2013 03:44 AM
NathanOgden
New Contributor III
I have 4 mosaic datasets containing about 90 files each from different years; the size of the largest images are 1.2GB each.  One is made up of tifs, three from ecws.  Some are natural color and some are black and white.  The sets have different projections.  My object is to create a master image with a set of time enabled rasters for viewing in ArcGIS 10.1. 

I had no trouble creating the individual mosaic datasets, however, when I create a new master mosiac dataset to populate the original 4 into, when I add the mosaic datasets one by one (never made it by the first one), a significant amount of reprocessing is occurring and the process fails as soon as all the free disk space is consumed (175GB).  I get the message error: 8004205f: No new mosaic dataset item was added.  When I added the original photos into the first mosaics I could complete the process with less than 20Gb free space consumed. 

Is it possible to use less space, or is there a better way, or am I just too greedy trying to process too many files at once?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MelanieHarlow
Esri Contributor
It sounds like the mosaic dataset that you're using to combine all the data may be building overviews. Uncheck this option when you add the data.

See the Multiple orthophoto collection example here: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Imagery_management_patterns_and_recommenda...
0 Kudos