Multiple ArcSDE Services on a single server?

10-18-2011 01:22 PM
RoyceSimpson
Occasional Contributor III
I'm trying to setup ArcSDE 10.1 on a Win Server 2003 with multiple SDE services pointing at two Oracle DBs running on Sun/Unix. I've got a single SDE service up and running fine and am able to connect to the one of the DBs via ArcCatalog both through direct connect and ArcSDE service.

I need to create a second service that is pointing to a second gDB. I've got the direct connection setup and am looking at this doc but it doesn't seem to be worded correctly. In fact, if you follow this documentation you get errors and things get gummed up. This Oracle section looks like it was lifted from the Informix section and never re-written for the specifics of Oracle.

http://resourcesbeta.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Setting_up_multiple_ArcSDE_services_on...

Is there better documentation on how to do this?

Anyone else attempting to do this? Am I jumping the gun with beta 1?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Royce,

Don't perform step 6; this isn't needed for Oracle since there's no database name to register (we're fixing this topic). If you do the other steps, though, this should work.

-Kim
0 Kudos
RoyceSimpson
Occasional Contributor III
Royce,

Don't perform step 6; this isn't needed for Oracle since there's no database name to register (we're fixing this topic). If you do the other steps, though, this should work.

-Kim

Thanks Kim.

Can you create multiple sde services while using remote databases?  If so, what is the procedure?

One thing to note that might not have been clear in the OP is the fact that I'm attempting to get these multiple sde services up on a separate machine than the actual Oracle database.

With that in mind, it seems the real issue lies back at step 5.  When I run the "sdeservice -o create" command, it never uses the copied dbinit file that was created in step 2 and just overwrites the original "dbinit.sde" for the new service that I'm trying to create.  In the dbinit.sde (and copied one) I'm not using the "ORACLE_SID" variable... that fails because this is a remote db.  Ironically, I need to use the "LOCAL" connection variable.  So, I go into the newly created and overwritten "dbinit.sde" file and change the default "ORACLE_SID" variable name to "LOCAL".
0 Kudos
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Hi Royce,

That variable always confuses me too; I'm not sure why it is that way.

To create a service on a remote machine requires an additional option.

"When you create a service, the sdesetup command requires you to include the -d option and value. However, it is not possible for a Windows service to have a dependency on a service that is on a remote server. Therefore, you must specify the -n option to negate the dependency."

http://resourcesbeta.arcgis.com/en/help/install-guides/arcsde-application-server-oracle/10.1/index.h...
0 Kudos