New x,y data added into attribute table not displaying in ArcMap

12-12-2011 11:22 AM
DValley
New Contributor II
Hi all:

I have a dataset that contains multiple facilities, misc data, and their x,y coordinates in UTM.  I have added new records and modified some existing records in the shapefile's attribute table.  However, these new/modified records do not display once I stop and save the edit session. 

Also, I have a subset of the dataset described above, created via selection by attribute and exported into a new shapefile that does not update either when I recreate the new shapefile after modifying the attribute table. 

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Hi all:

I have a dataset that contains multiple facilities, misc data, and their x,y coordinates in UTM.  I have added new records and modified some existing records in the shapefile's attribute table.  However, these new/modified records do not display once I stop and save the edit session. 

Also, I have a subset of the dataset described above, created via selection by attribute and exported into a new shapefile that does not update either when I recreate the new shapefile after modifying the attribute table. 

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks

Your description of what you are doing and the effect is not entirely clear.  What version of ArcGIS are you using?  Are you working with an XY Event layer or a point layer in the first part of your problem?  Are you creating new records by inserting a point or just adding a record in the attribute table?  The first method is required for a point class and the second works with an XY Event table.  Do the edits revert back to what was there before you edited or do the features and records simply disappear?  Do you have any definition queries in place?

For the second part about exporting I would just assume that if the first behavior is resolved that the second will follow suit.  Either way, a little more description of your feature class, layer settings (especially any definition query), work flow and a more specific example of an edit and what shows up after you save the edits would help.
0 Kudos