No Records revealed after Database Connection Made

09-13-2013 12:19 PM
JesseJoe
New Contributor III
Hi everybody,

I am having issues with accessing records after making a database connection in ArcCatalog. I go and try to preview the table but no records are there.

help!

Jesse
GIS Technician
Town of Sidney, BC, Canada
0 Kudos
15 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
on a side note...please mention the version of ArcGIS being used for a better understanding (my guess, it's either 10.1 or 10.2....SQL Server 2005 is not supported with either).

Also, its preferable to have the SQL Server and the Native Client at the same version (2005 in your case)....
0 Kudos
JesseJoe
New Contributor III
I think his suggestion might be to ensure that the user you are connecting with in ArcCatalog has been assigned to something like the db_datareader role within the database.  Technically, a user account can exist and connect but have no permissions to see any records.  So, you have a user login set up at the SQL Server instance level and there should be a corresponding user created within the database for that particular login.  In SQL Server Studio Manager, if you can log in as an administrator or the 'sa' account then you can expand the database properties to see the Security section.  Under the user in question, right click to see the properties and then ensure that it has been assigned to at least one role.

Hi William regarding Michael's post:

Appreciate the heads-up William. I should be good regarding setting up of the User Log-in. I created it in the security folder and had it map to the appropriate database. As for roles, I gave it reader privileges, so it should be good here.
0 Kudos
JesseJoe
New Contributor III
on a side note...please mention the version of ArcGIS being used for a better understanding (my guess, it's either 10.1 or 10.2....SQL Server 2005 is not supported with either).

Also, its preferable to have the SQL Server and the Native Client at the same version (2005 in your case)....

I am running ArcGIS for Desktop v10.1 and trying to connect to a SQL Server 2005 database. Due to the incompatibility, this would explain for no records showing up.

I have spent the last two days doing the upgrade of the database from 2005 to 2008. I've come across a bunch of issues with this as well, I think my new-be colors are really shining now! If interested here is the thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/a22f8480-9f65-4c2c-99fe-e14edf31d31e/cannot-...

Appreciate all that contributed, just learnt how to give points for helpful tips. Be more on-top of that for next time. I will post results after I have the 2008 upgrade successful and can access tables in ArcGIS 10.1
0 Kudos
JesseJoe
New Contributor III
Well...I've upgraded the database from SQL SERVER 2005 to 2008. I then proceeded to do the database link, Tables remain unpopulated!!! It took be quite some time troubleshooting to resolve a database attachment issue, disheartening to see that at the end, the database connection error still remains, out of steam, out of luck - anyhow, any more leads in the matter?

Jesse
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
the database connection error still remains

Are you observing connection issues now?

** Did you check for Reserved Keywords in that table, as I had indicated in one of my previous posts?
0 Kudos
JesseJoe
New Contributor III
For some reason, ArcGIS is able to populate records of a VIEW table created with no problems! I created the VIEW table in SQL Server 2008 and then previewed it after bringing it into ArcGIS by creating a database connection to it.

I was also able to successfully join it to a GIS layer using a common attribute key field.

Perhaps ArcGIS is especially designed to access VIEWS? So a subset table...maybe my original table was too big for ArcGIS to handle, perhaps too many fields? Not sure at all but with VIEWS, I'm in the race again.

Thanks for all the input everybody. Being a new-be, you're a great encouragement.

Jesse
0 Kudos