Parts of a feature class disappear. GDB corrupt?

04-18-2011 03:43 AM
MichaelKettermann
New Contributor
Hello,
I created a feature class in a personal geodatabase and mapped around 20 000 geological joints as polylines. Everything went fine, but today when I opened the project almost all lines disappear from view when I move the screen somewhat to far over a certain spot to the north. The attribute table of the feature class shows only 6100 objects. Plus, the "select by attributes" function does not work anymore. But still, the lines are somehow there. If I move the view more to the south they suddenly reappear and I can select them with the rectangle tool.
I tried to export the feature class as shapefile, but got the error "WARNING 000117: Warning empty output generated." I also tried to use the "feature class to feature class" tool, but this way it copied the disappearing objects error, too.
Does anybody know this problem? Is it maybe some small adjustment I made without noticing? Or is the geodatabase corrupt in some strange way?
It would be fantastic if someone can help me on this issue! It is part of my masters thesis and I need the files to print a map for field work in two weeks.
Many thanks in advance!
Michael
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
If you add the feature class to a new project without any symbology or definition queries, does it still display odd behavior?  If so you might make a copy of it, say in another GDB, and then run a repair geometry on the copy and see if that fixes things.  If it does you can use the repaired feature class but I'd suggest making a copy for backup, and do so after every edit session.
petrsimonov
New Contributor
At me the same problem. How it to solve? Repair doesnt help.
0 Kudos
ChrisGraves1
New Contributor II
Hi,

Did you get a resolution to this issue? I'm experiencing the same issue with features stored in a file Gdb (10.1 SP 1). I create a feature or make a change in the attribute table to an existing feature, it disappears. Then when I create or copy that feature from a backup copy of another dataset, the original feature returns!
The issue also occurred when I changed a label expression for a line feature where the line disappeared. I'm using a check out replica from SDE but that shouldn't be causing it. The feature classes are stored in a file GDB when checked out.
Any advice or assistance would be great.

Thanks
Chris
0 Kudos