Please Help!! Loading/Adding Data - Versioned Feature Class

04-24-2013 06:05 AM
JeffSlauenwhite
New Contributor II
Hello,
Can anyone possibly suggest the best method for loading data into a versioned feature class that is part of a geometric network?  I have a versioned feature class of streetlights in a geodatabase that is part of a geometric network.  I also have another non-versioned feature class of additional streetlights I want to add to the versioned data.   The schemas in both do match.

There are many streetlights 15,000+ in the non-versioned data.. I have begun using copy & paste in an edit session with the versioned data as the target layer.  This approach does work if I copy small numbers of rows each time (say 50-100).. however it is very time consuming.

I have tried object loader, but it fails each time.. I often run out of memory..
Any ideas?
JS
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JeffSlauenwhite
New Contributor II
I forgot to mention I'm using ArcInfo 9.3.1 SP2..

Hello,
Can anyone possibly suggest the best method for loading data into a versioned feature class that is part of a geometric network?  I have a versioned feature class of streetlights in a geodatabase that is part of a geometric network.  I also have another non-versioned feature class of additional streetlights I want to add to the versioned data.   The schemas in both do match.

There are many streetlights 15,000+ in the non-versioned data.. I have begun using copy & paste in an edit session with the versioned data as the target layer.  This approach does work if I copy small numbers of rows each time (say 50-100).. however it is very time consuming.

I have tried object loader, but it fails each time.. I often run out of memory..
Any ideas?
JS
0 Kudos
denisedavis
Occasional Contributor III
You could try saving the versioned data as a shapefile, load the non versioned information into it and then replace the versioned feature class with the shapefile containing all your data. you may require special permissions for this. I've also seen this happen when your cache setting is too low for the geodatabase . You could try to set that higher and see if the load will work then.
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Multiple methods. 

Easiest Method:  From an edit session in ArcGIS have both the old and the new on screen.

IF Both features have the SAME attributes simply copy and paste the new into the old.

Easy:  From an ArcGIS session. Use the Append command to append data from new to old.  Works similar to Load Data in ArcCatalog but it allows you to do to a versioned  database.

Not as easy but still easy:  Compress your database a couple times.  Unregister as versioned.  Use the Data Loader to load data. Compress again.  Register as versioned.  If it does not work you will need to delete the geometric network after the unregister as versioned.

Hello,

Any ideas?
JS
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
As far as the copy paste goes.  It would work best if you only have the two datasets open.  zoom in close and pause the refresh.

It should work with that number of street lights. But you computer may not be able to to handle the amount of data all at one time.  I recently did it with 34,000 poles.

Hello,

Any ideas?
JS
0 Kudos