Populating an attribute table field from a dropdown menu from a database table

01-21-2011 06:18 AM
TrevorClark
New Contributor
What I am trying to do, is create a new shapefile of hydro lines running throughout the city of Burlington. I need to list the "from" and "to" limits of each hydro line based on the street names that they are found on.  I have a list of all of the street names in the city located both in a database table and in a seperate feature class attribute table field.  Is there a way that I can create a dropdown in the "from" and "to" fields that lets me select the limits from the database table containing the road names so that I dont have to type them all in??
0 Kudos
9 Replies
AshleyMott
New Contributor III
This is one reason geodatabases are so helpful. You can create "dropdown" domains that include all of your "from" and "to" values. There is even a "Table to Domain" geoprocessing tool that allows you to import the values into your new geodatabase.
0 Kudos
TrevorClark
New Contributor
How do I do this so when I digitize the lines I can use dropdowns for the "from" and "to" fields??
0 Kudos
AshleyMott
New Contributor III
You can use the dropdowns on the fly while editing in ArcMap by utilizing the "Attributes" window (a button in your "Editor" toolbar).
0 Kudos
TrevorClark
New Contributor
Yes I know how to use the attributes window to modify the attributes of a feature.  What I want to know is how to set up the dropdowns to point towards the street names table that I have in my geodatabase.
0 Kudos
KellyVan_Allen
New Contributor II
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but in the ArcToolbox > Data Management Tools > Domains > Table to Domain...

You can create your domain using this tool then set the domain to the fields you require it.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
AshleyMott
New Contributor III
Yes I know how to use the attributes window to modify the attributes of a feature.  What I want to know is how to set up the dropdowns to point towards the street names table that I have in my geodatabase.

That is stated in my reply above: table to domain GPtool
0 Kudos
MitchKrupp
New Contributor
You need to read up on Domains; how to create them and how to use them. Then use the tool suggested above.
0 Kudos
TrevorClark
New Contributor
Thanks very much for your help everybody! Extremely helpful!!!
0 Kudos
SandyWoiak
New Contributor II
I have a similar question and have been experimenting with domains. However, I would like to maintain the values in a table, so that I may easily add new values to the drop-down list. One problem with domains is that only the user who creates a domain may edit it. I am creating a geodatabase for other people to edit, so they would not be able to adjust the domain values. Plus, I'm trying to keep the process simple for the users, and domains are tricky to work with.
Any ideas?
0 Kudos