Postgres 13.x compatibility with ArcGIS Server 10.9.1

Jump to solution
11-29-2023 09:00 AM
Labels (3)
HenokA
by
New Contributor III

Hi All,

Just curious if postgres v13.13  (pg13.13) - latest minor release for pg13.x - is supported by ArcGIS Server 10.9.1. 

Esri guideline puts minimum supported postgres version requirement for ArcGIS Server 10.9.1 and pg13.x at pg13.3.

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/system-requirements/10.9.1/windows/database-requirements-postgresql...

However, postgres latest release [as of 2023-11-09] cites multiple vulnerabilities bwn minor versions pg13.3 and pg13.13, and recommends using pg13.13.

https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/postgresql-161-155-1410-1313-1217-and-1122-released-2749/

Based on Esri's database compatibility guidelines and this forum, minor releases are also supported, for each supported postgres release, unless explicitly stated otherwise!

Can we thus safely assume pg13.13 is compatible with ArcGIS Server 10.9.1? And with ArcPro 3.1/3.2?

Does ESRI recommend acquiring supported postgres installation (for windows) for download from My Esri, instead of postgresql.org ? Is there any potential issue if the installation is acquired from postgresql.org especially when the version needed is not yet available from My Esri for example?

Thanks,

Henok 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Can we thus safely assume pg13.13 is compatible with ArcGIS Server 10.9.1?

Yes, as PostgreSQL 13.3 (64 bit) is listed as the base supported version.

And with ArcPro 3.1/3.2?

Yes, as PostgreSQL 13.12 (64 bit) is the base supported version for ArcGIS Pro 3.2 and PostgreSQL 13.6 (64 bit) is the base supported version for ArcGIS Pro 3.1. So they both Support PostgreSQL 13.13.

Does ESRI recommend acquiring supported postgres installation (for windows) for download from My Esri, instead of postgresql.org ? Is there any potential issue if the installation is acquired from postgresql.org especially when the version needed is not yet available from My Esri for example?

In the link it mentions:

"Esri tests and certifies PostgreSQL installations that are available from PostgreSQL.org. For each PostgreSQL release that Esri supports, available PostGIS modules are also tested and certified. No other modules extending PostgreSQL functionality are included in Esri certification."

So you should be fine with both.

View solution in original post

MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

FAQ: What PostgreSQL Database Versions Are Supported by ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Pro? (esri.com)

ArcGIS 10.9.1 and ArcGIS Pro 2.9 requirements for PostgreSQL—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for A...

PostgreSQL 13.3 is the minimum certified and supported version and customers can update the PostgreSQL 13 to the latest version to get the latest security updates and bug fixes.

See my community.esri.com blog about upgrading PostgreSQL and PostGIS for Enterprise Geodatabases.

How to Upgrade the PostgreSQL and PostGIS version for the Enterprise Geodatabase on Windows
How to Upgrade the PostgreSQL and PostGIS version for the Enterprise Geodatabase on Linux

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can we thus safely assume pg13.13 is compatible with ArcGIS Server 10.9.1? And with ArcPro 3.1/3.2?

Yes, PostgreSQL 13.13 is compatible and supported with ArcGIS Server 10.9.1.

If using ArcGIS Pro 3.1 / 3.2 then you shall upgrade the ArcSDE Geodatabase Repository.

If you use ArcGIS Pro 3.2 to upgrade the Geodatabase Repository then this will bring the Geodatabase Repository to version 11.2.0.3.2.

It is a best practice to keep all ArcGIS software components at the same release, therefore you need to upgrade to ArcGIS Server 11.2.0.

You could go to PostgreSQL 15 + ArcGIS Pro 3.2 + Geodatabase 11.2.0.3.2 + ArcGIS Server 11.2.0.

ArcGIS 11.2 and ArcGIS Pro 3.2 requirements for PostgreSQL—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for Arc...

Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation open the link to read the full document.

You do not have to keep your geodatabase and ArcGIS clients at the same release, but it is recommended that you do so. Geodatabases and client software are designed to work together, and if you let one get too many releases away from the other, you risk encountering problems or unexpected behavior.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a customer choice, but yes you can download PostgreSQL from postgresql.org.

How to Move the PostgreSQL Enterprise Geodatabase with pg_dump and pg_restore

For more best practices go to my community.esri.com blog below.

Mapping and Charting Solutions (MCS) Enterprise Da... - Esri Community

Read the production mapping database guide books for PostgreSQL, the best practices can be applied to any industry, you can also find there my database template scripts for PostgreSQL and the database connection best practices.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Can we thus safely assume pg13.13 is compatible with ArcGIS Server 10.9.1?

Yes, as PostgreSQL 13.3 (64 bit) is listed as the base supported version.

And with ArcPro 3.1/3.2?

Yes, as PostgreSQL 13.12 (64 bit) is the base supported version for ArcGIS Pro 3.2 and PostgreSQL 13.6 (64 bit) is the base supported version for ArcGIS Pro 3.1. So they both Support PostgreSQL 13.13.

In the link it mentions:

"Esri tests and certifies PostgreSQL installations that are available from PostgreSQL.org. For each PostgreSQL release that Esri supports, available PostGIS modules are also tested and certified. No other modules extending PostgreSQL functionality are included in Esri certification."

So you should be fine with both.

MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

FAQ: What PostgreSQL Database Versions Are Supported by ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Pro? (esri.com)

ArcGIS 10.9.1 and ArcGIS Pro 2.9 requirements for PostgreSQL—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for A...

PostgreSQL 13.3 is the minimum certified and supported version and customers can update the PostgreSQL 13 to the latest version to get the latest security updates and bug fixes.

See my community.esri.com blog about upgrading PostgreSQL and PostGIS for Enterprise Geodatabases.

How to Upgrade the PostgreSQL and PostGIS version for the Enterprise Geodatabase on Windows
How to Upgrade the PostgreSQL and PostGIS version for the Enterprise Geodatabase on Linux

Yes, PostgreSQL 13.13 is compatible and supported with ArcGIS Server 10.9.1.

If using ArcGIS Pro 3.1 / 3.2 then you shall upgrade the ArcSDE Geodatabase Repository.

If you use ArcGIS Pro 3.2 to upgrade the Geodatabase Repository then this will bring the Geodatabase Repository to version 11.2.0.3.2.

It is a best practice to keep all ArcGIS software components at the same release, therefore you need to upgrade to ArcGIS Server 11.2.0.

You could go to PostgreSQL 15 + ArcGIS Pro 3.2 + Geodatabase 11.2.0.3.2 + ArcGIS Server 11.2.0.

ArcGIS 11.2 and ArcGIS Pro 3.2 requirements for PostgreSQL—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for Arc...

Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation open the link to read the full document.

You do not have to keep your geodatabase and ArcGIS clients at the same release, but it is recommended that you do so. Geodatabases and client software are designed to work together, and if you let one get too many releases away from the other, you risk encountering problems or unexpected behavior.

This is a customer choice, but yes you can download PostgreSQL from postgresql.org.

How to Move the PostgreSQL Enterprise Geodatabase with pg_dump and pg_restore

For more best practices go to my community.esri.com blog below.

Mapping and Charting Solutions (MCS) Enterprise Da... - Esri Community

Read the production mapping database guide books for PostgreSQL, the best practices can be applied to any industry, you can also find there my database template scripts for PostgreSQL and the database connection best practices.

HenokA
by
New Contributor III

Great. Thank you  @Asrujit_SenGupta  for the prompt response.

Thank you @MarceloMarques for such a comprehensive response with lots of links to helpful resources.

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@HenokA - You are welcome.  🙂

0 Kudos