PostgreSQL support in ArcSDE 10

08-23-2011 12:04 PM
Kevin_FernandoEscalera_Robles
New Contributor III
Will Postgre SQL 9 be supported in ArcSDE 10.1?. I have reviewed the ArcSDE 10 PostgreSQL Database Requirements in http://resources.arcgis.com/content/arcsde/10.0/postgresql-system-requirements and it mentions specific versions of Postgre SQL (8.3.8 and 8.4.1) but I want to be sure that the version 9 is not supported in SDE 10 and will not be supported in ArcSDE 10.1

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
11 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
PG 9 is not supported at ArcGIS 10.0.  10.1 questions really belong in the beta forums,
but I believe the intent is to support PG 9 at ArcGIS 10.1.

- V
0 Kudos
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor
Hi Kevin,

Please see the following from the 2011 UC:

http://events.esri.com/uc/QandA/index.cfm?fuseaction=answer&conferenceId=DD02CFE7-1422-2418-7F271831...

Q: Will Esri support PostgreSQL 9 at 10.1?

Yes, PostgreSQL 9.0.2 will be supported at 10.1.
0 Kudos
Kevin_FernandoEscalera_Robles
New Contributor III
Hi Kevin,

Please see the following from the 2011 UC:

http://events.esri.com/uc/QandA/index.cfm?fuseaction=answer&conferenceId=DD02CFE7-1422-2418-7F271831...

Thats all I needed to know, thanks so much
0 Kudos
DannyDong
New Contributor III
Is there an official date of ArcSDE 10.1 yet? What is the latest version of Postgresql and PostGIS that SDE 10.0 Supports at the time being? There is no installer for Postgresql 8.4.1 as mentioned in ESRI document. So I used postgresql 8.4.9 installer instead. However, I got a database connection error when I tried to post install SDE 10.0. Is there way to get around? Anyone succeeded with a different version than ESRI specifies for Postgresql or PostGIS?
0 Kudos
DannyDong
New Contributor III
OK. Here is the deal: ArcSDE will not support multiple types of databases on a server, even though it can support multiple databases of the SAME TYPE. I already have SDE databases on a sqlexpress on the same server, that is why I couldn't connect since there can be only ONE SDEHOME.

I know that it is not recommended to have two different types of databases on the same server for performance issues, but I wonder if it is possible now as the server/virtual server/cloud server is getting much more powerful.

Still interested in though what is the update status of postgresql and postgis for sde 10 sp3.
0 Kudos
tKasiaTuszynska
New Contributor III
Danny,
Couple of answers for you:
You can have multiple sde installations for different databases but yes, you can have only one SDEHOME at a time.

The version of PostgreSQL supported for 10sp3 is the same one as it was for 10.0, 8.3.8 with Postgis 1.5.3.

If you are using a Postgres version that we do not certify, than you run the risk of the Postgres client libraries being different enough from the ones found in the version that we do certify on, for our st_geometry dll/so to be inaccessible. In which case there is nothing that can be done. The only way to fix it would be for the st_geometry library to be recompiled with the newer Postgres client libraries and that ends up being a new release.

Sincerely,
Kasia
0 Kudos
DanielMrvos
New Contributor

If you are using a Postgres version that we do not certify, than you run the risk of the Postgres client libraries being different enough from the ones found in the version that we do certify on, for our st_geometry dll/so to be inaccessible. In which case there is nothing that can be done. The only way to fix it would be for the st_geometry library to be recompiled with the newer Postgres client libraries and that ends up being a new release.

Sincerely,
Kasia

Heya,

is there a way for as normal mortal users to get to the source code of the st_geometry library so that we can recompile it for the used Postgres database?

The question why I ask is to test it with Postgres 9, and to circumvent having to do pachtworking like I did with SDE 9.3.1 and Postgres 64bit. Back then I copied the library files from SDE 10 64bit to postgres. Fortunatly it worked back then. But if we have to move to Postgres 9 without moving to GIS 10.1 then we are going to have a problem again in which I again will have to do this patchworking. It would be much easier if we would have the sources of the librarires to compile against the used Postgres version.

Regards,
Daniel
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
There's zero chance of being given the ST_GEOMETRY source.  Your best chance
at getting alternate libraries is to file an incident with Tech Support, making a
business case for supporting an unsupported environment (I expect it would have
to be a very compelling argument, just to make it to technical evaluation).

- V
0 Kudos
SKIPPYJOHN_JONES
New Contributor
I learnt that ArcGIS 10.1 SUPPORTS UP UNTIL POSTGRESQL 9.0.5.1.
I could only find postgresql instalation package until 9.0.8.1 from postgresqldb website. Does using 9.0.8.1 version creates any problems with arcgis 10.1?  Has any one tried it before.
0 Kudos