Problem Generating Output Name

08-07-2011 01:57 PM
DanielLunsford1
New Contributor II
I imported an AutoCAD 2000 drawing (audited and purged) containing nothing but polylines into ArcMap 10. I tried to export to a shapefile using Conversion Tools=> to Shapefile=> Feature Class to Shapefile (Multiple) tool. It worked fine, except a few polylines were inexplicably left out. I figured it was because they weren't closed, so I went into the CAD file, redrew those objects, and made sure they were closed.

When I tried to convert the CAD file to a shapefile again, I kept getting the following error:

"Failed to convert: Parcels.dwg Group Layer\Parcels.dwg Polyline Problem generating Output Name (Error 999999: error executing function)"

I am mystified as to why redrawing less than a half dozen polyline shapes in the CAD drawing somehow screwed everything up. Does anyone have any idea what happened, and more importantly: how can I successfully convert this CAD file to a polygon shapefile?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
BrittanyWalter
New Contributor
Did you end up fixing this problem?  I am having the same problem.  I do not see a place to name the output data that we want to convert. I think that may be the problem...
0 Kudos
DanielLunsford1
New Contributor II
Haven't fixed it yet. From what I can tell, the tool automatically names the output files based on the output folder name- so the error message is that much more puzzling (I could be wrong about that, though).

I did find a work-around: export the CAD drawing as a geodatabase. That seems to work fine.
0 Kudos
JamesSmith5
New Contributor
Similar problem here. Trying to output a layer as a shapefile and get this error. 😞

Will try the geodatabase 'solution' now...
0 Kudos