Problem with joining with a SQL Server data source. .DBF file works fine though?

04-04-2012 02:14 PM
DustinReagan
New Contributor
Hi,

I'm using ArcMap 10.0.

I'm trying to inner join (with the join tool) a shape file with a table from an SQL Server data connection.  It fails with 0 records.  Howerver, when I export the table to a .DBF file, then do the same join, it works as expected!?

Any ideas?  The data appears unchanged before and after the export.  It's something under the hood, I expect...

Thanks,
Dustin
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
What are the field types for the shapefile and for the SQL Server table that the join is based off of?
0 Kudos
DustinReagan
New Contributor
On the shapefile, the field is of type TEXT, on the SQL Server table, the field is of type nvarchar(154)
0 Kudos
KenCarrier
Occasional Contributor III
Before doing the join click the validate join button in the bottom right of the screen, it could be you are using a reserved word or there are invalid characters in one of your field names in one or both of the tables.

Running the validate should give you a better idea of what is going on.
0 Kudos
DustinReagan
New Contributor
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I tried the "verify" functionality, and it gave no warnings or errors.
0 Kudos
DustinReagan
New Contributor
bump. still having this inexplicable problem.
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Try importing your shapefile into a File Geodatabase and see if you experience the same behavior.
0 Kudos