Relate works; Join does not in FGD v10

02-20-2012 06:35 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I have a feature class of streets and a table of street addresses.  I would like to derive a point feature class from streets; I've added the centroid point x,y values to the street segements.

On a certain class of streets ( free way fly overs) I have calculated the address = "2 <the fly over name>" As mentioned, I have a table of the exact same addresses along with a name for the fly over.  I can relate my table to the features via address, and when I select a table record > related tables I get the corresponding feature class selected.

However, when I try to perform a join via the address field, the join does not validate and the procedure tells me no records found.  All the attributes from the (non) joined feature attribute table are <null>.  The addresses are unique, so it's not like I'm trying to perform a one-to-many join and just getting the first join.  I get nothing....

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
6 Replies

same problem... v 10.2.2

Relate works but with the same settings "- No matches found by joining"

(all fields with attribute index)

upd:

For my case i fix it by exporting both tables in same gdb

(reindexing or compact DB wasn't solving problem)

0 Kudos
LanceShipman
Esri Regular Contributor

Joe,

Can you post sample data? Are you using 10.0 or 10.0sp5?

Lance Shipman

Geodatabase Product Engineer, File Geodatabase, SQLite, Shapefile

esri, Redlands

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Lance-  I started this thread 3 years ago in the old forum.  I was only 54 then.... In my advancing years, I can not for the life of me remember how I got it to work, but it's a non-issue for me now.... 

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Lance-  lo and behold...  A few years later and I've stumbled upon the problem again.  Using v10.0 SP5.  I was actually trying to troubleshoot another forum users' problem and this resurfaced.

Here is the scoop:

I have a point feature class with a text-type field to join to a text-type field in another table.  I initially set the table up such that it would support a 1:1 relationship and a subsequent join and it worked fine.  Here is a screen shot of the points table Joined via the JoinItem field to the datatable (which is shown in the lower portion of the table view window)

Then I altered the table such that it had multiple records, changing the relationship from 1(point) to Many(records in table).

No problem right?  I'll just use a summary to get a total for the attribute I want to label the points: so I Summarize on the common join-item in the stand alone table, getting the count of each instance of the join-item and a summary of the values:

But when I try to join the point feature class attribute table with the summary table, I can't:

If you want me to send the data, let me know where to....

0 Kudos
LanceShipman
Esri Regular Contributor

Your best bet is to contact Technical Support. They have a standard procedure for downloading data.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Lance-  Today I'm on a 10.2.2 machine, and I did the same thing as yesterday.  Everything works here so I think it's not an issue.....

0 Kudos