Relationship Class - Edit to Add Feature / Record to All Layers / Tables

Jump to solution
09-05-2013 08:21 AM
TimDonoyou
Occasional Contributor
Hi All,

I am just investigating Relationship Classes and am trying to figure out if it is possible to...when editing and creating new features to add the new record to all related layers and tables...?

For example, we undertake surveys of ponds for newts, frogs and toads which require more than one visit so we have a polygon feature class of our pond locations and then tables of results for each visit. For existing, known ponds the relationship class is great and means when clicking on a pond we can expand the + and see results for each visit.

However, when we come to add a new pond it needs to be added to all 6 layers which is quite time-consuming and allows potential errors with incorrect PondID being entered in each table.

Therefore, is it possible to add the pond polygon to the featureclass, add the PondID and for this to then automatically create a record in each table which inherits the same PondID...?

Any pointers much appreciated

Thanks

Tim
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimDonoyou
Occasional Contributor
Hi All

Just in case anyone is interested I solved this by creating a python script tool which takes a featureset input for the pond and a text parameter for the pond id and then uses insert cursors to add a row to all required tables.

Hope this helps someone else

Cheers

Tim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TimDonoyou
Occasional Contributor
Hi All

Just in case anyone is interested I solved this by creating a python script tool which takes a featureset input for the pond and a text parameter for the pond id and then uses insert cursors to add a row to all required tables.

Hope this helps someone else

Cheers

Tim
0 Kudos