Replication "Invalid parameter passed to function" error

09-21-2013 11:47 AM
Sravan_KumarUddarraju
New Contributor
I have trouble tracing the error which was getting by Synchronization process.
I have created Onaway replication between the ArcSDE 10 sql server 2008 (which is parent) and ArcSDE 10.1 sql server 2008  (child replica).  It was working for a while and suddenly failing the synchronization with the error message �??Invalid parameter passed to function�?�. I set the environmental variables �??SDETRACELOC�?� and �??SDETRACEMODE�?� to trace the problem and I could not find much information on the log files, including in ReplicationLog.dat file.
Re-creating the replication might help to overcome this problem, but before that, I would like to know root cause for the error message. Any help on this highly appreciated.

Regards,
S
0 Kudos
4 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
When you say that it was working for a while and then suddenly started failing, I think the natural question becomes: "what has changed?".  Can you think of anything that may have changed on your server(s) or geodatabases themselves?  Are you certain that both the parent and child are still registered as replicas?  How are you performing synchronization; connected or disconnected?  Are the replicas' parent versions protected or private or public?  Has anyone directly edited the child replica?
0 Kudos
Sravan_KumarUddarraju
New Contributor
Thank you for the response to my query.

Q: Can you think of anything that may have changed on your server(s) or geodatabases themselves?
A: Synchronization is failing after we made schema change in the �??Parent replica�??. But we restored the sql backup from the Parent replica to Child replica and then we performed the synchronization. I did not recreate the replication.   This is the procedure we have been following for long time.

Q: Are you certain that both the parent and child are still registered as replicas?
A: Yes

Q: How are you performing synchronization; connected or disconnected?
A: Connected

Q: Are the replicas' parent versions protected or private or public? Has anyone directly edited the child replica?
A: Public

I would like to know, using log files, how to track this issue. I setup the SDEINTERCEPT log as well to identify the problem. But not sure how to read the 150mb (SDEINTERCEPT) log file.

S
0 Kudos
CherylCleghorn
Esri Contributor
You cannot take a sql backup from the parent and restore it to the child. This is in effect trying to sync parent with parent which will not work. After you make schema changes to the parent you should use the schema changes tool to sync those schema changes with the child. Did you take a backup of the child immediately before you did this restore? If so you should restore the child back to what it was then, and use the schema changes tools. If you try to use any other backup, chances are that the replica generation metadata would be out of sync with the parent causing even further issues.
0 Kudos
Sravan_KumarUddarraju
New Contributor
I remember doing this process (backing up from parent restore in child) and sync worked. I could be wrong too..
I will try re-register the new replica (and unregistered existing one) again from the scratch and see how it works, and keep you posted.

Thanks for the responses on this.

Still curious, is there any way (using logs) to find out what exactly went wrong and where the the replication is failing?
0 Kudos