Save edits while digitizing polygon

04-03-2012 09:29 AM
KimberlyAardal1
New Contributor
Hi, I'm digitizing a huge polygon as an overlay to an aerial image and was just about done (one hours worth of work) when ArcGis 10 bombed out. All my work was gone. I've tried to save edits while digitizing but that just blows away the polygon entirely. Is there a tool or something I'm missing to be able to do this? Any help would be most appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi,

I am not sure if it is possible in ArcMap 10 (should be though), but I can suggest a workaround by using "classic editing". Detailed instructions are outlined in this blog post: http://blogs.esri.com/esri/supportcenter/2010/08/20/setting-the-edit-and-snapping-environments-in-ar...

After you've done this I would suggest to start digitizing a polygon and then finishing sketch (i.e., finishing a polygon after some minutes work). Then save your edits. After that, just click the polygon with the "Edit tool", in the "Task:" dropdown box choose "Modify Feature", then select the "Sketch" tool and then you continue digitizing your polygons by creating vertices from the vertex you've finished (mark as red). You may need to experiment a bit with following your polygon a right way since this end vertex (marked red) may appear not where you want to continue editing your polygon.

Remember that you could always "divide" your big feature you are trying to digitize (say a large lake) into several subpolygons, create them and merge them afterwards (you could use the Trace tool too to get the shared line properly digitized if needed).

Maybe there are some other better ways to do this without switching to the classic editing, so let's wait what other folks might suggest.
0 Kudos