SDE spatial index disappeared

Jump to solution
11-17-2016 01:54 PM
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

One of my feature classes, a large file (50K records), cannot be appended to because there is no spatial index. The metadata and geoprocessing history shows that there was an index last spring, when it was last updated. Any reason why this would disappear? I see there is tool to fix it, but all of our SDE privileges are messed up, so I can't run this tool.

It is a 10.1 SQL Server-base database.

Could this indicate an integrity problem with the database overall?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanaNolan

I will answer this one myself...sorta. This had something to do with editors not having the right to update the index, which is something that should not happen. Only SDE could update it. I could try to tell geoprocessing tools to leave the index alone, but I don't always use those to edit. To be safe,  I was forced to edit always as SDE user, rather than through Operating System Authentication with editor rights as is our preference, for several months. Consulted with ESRI at the UC and was starting one last test (using a new editing user account) before putting in an ESRI ticket, when we upgraded our desktops to 10.4.1, and my SQL administrator fixed a coworker's privileges. I then felt brave enough to try editing again through OSA and the problem had disappeared. This could have been fixed due to the many OS updates or some other mysterious reason.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanaNolan

I will answer this one myself...sorta. This had something to do with editors not having the right to update the index, which is something that should not happen. Only SDE could update it. I could try to tell geoprocessing tools to leave the index alone, but I don't always use those to edit. To be safe,  I was forced to edit always as SDE user, rather than through Operating System Authentication with editor rights as is our preference, for several months. Consulted with ESRI at the UC and was starting one last test (using a new editing user account) before putting in an ESRI ticket, when we upgraded our desktops to 10.4.1, and my SQL administrator fixed a coworker's privileges. I then felt brave enough to try editing again through OSA and the problem had disappeared. This could have been fixed due to the many OS updates or some other mysterious reason.

0 Kudos