sdemon -o kill - Underlying DBMS error

08-09-2012 12:36 PM
JiaLiu
by
New Contributor II
On our ArcSDE 10 SP5 (on Solaris T-4, Oracle 11.2.0.3), when I try to kill a 3-tier connection through "sdemon -o kill -t all -p <password> -N" - doesn't matter if I use "all" or individual pid, I'm getting "Underlying DBMS error, Unable to kill servers" error. I believe that SDE has all the required privileges. After our DBA added SDE to the DBA role, now I'm getting "Invalid DBA password, Unable to kill server" error. The odd thing is we also have a user schema geodatabase in this Oracle instance, and I'm able to kill 3-tier connection in this user schema geodatabase. There is also no problem to "kill" direct connect in both the SDE and user schema geodatabases. So, the only problem is to "kill" 3-tier connections in SDE geodatabase. Does anyone have seen this before? I suspect the problem is related to some settings, but why the user schema doesn't have this issue? I don't see any difference in the sdeconfig of these two geodatabases either. I also was not able to find concrete SDE log errors nor Oracle trace errors. The most information I got was from 10.1 Desktop "Geodatabase Administration" tool with "Underlying DBMS error (No Data Found)." Is there a document detailing what exact steps "sdemon -o kill" is doing, so I can walk through each step manually?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
When you ran kill on the user-schema geodatabase, did you use the -t all option?  If so, that should have killed all service connections to all the geodatabases in that Oracle instance, even to those in the sde master geodatabase. (User-schema geodatabases don't have services of their own, the service is actually defined on the sde master geodatabase.)

You shouldn't have to grant additional privileges to the sde user to kill 3-tier connections; that's only needed when killing connections made directly to the database.

I encourage you to contact Esri support so they can help you with this.
0 Kudos
JiaLiu
by
New Contributor II
I was trying the suggestion - now my user schema GDB couldn't kill 3-tier connection either - with the same error message. I have been working with ESRI Premium support on this since Aug. 2nd without a solution...

Thanks!
0 Kudos
JiaLiu
by
New Contributor II
We now got another issue with disconnecting 3-tier connections on our other ArcSDE boxes. We had a campanile system outage the past weekend, now when I try to disconnect user�??s ArcSDE 3-tier sessions, I'm getting "Invalid DBA password, Unable to kill server�?�" error. I have talked to our DBA and Active Directory admin without an answer. Does anyone know what are the steps and things "sdemon -o kill" does - commands, procedures, etc., so I can run it interactively and find the problem?
0 Kudos