Should I create a relationship class, join tables, or relate tables?

05-10-2011 02:38 PM
MatthewLenox
New Contributor II
Hi,

I am working with multiple feature classes that contain the same data.  I have a master feature class and I have created multiple feature class "subsets" of that data that I am actively working with.  When I edit the master feature class I have to go back and edit all the other "subset" feature classes.

When I edit the master feature class I would like the "subset" feature classes to be updated simultaneously.

Is this possible? 

I have tried joining, relating, and creating a relationship class to get the results I am looking for, but have not had luck.  I may not be using these functions properly to achieve these results.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

THANKS!!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Is your master feature class stored in an ArcSDE geodatabase?  If it is I would recommend replication.  You can replicate subsets of the feature class to other SDE, Personal, or File Geodatabases.  Then after making changes to the master feature class you can synchronize changes to the child geodatabases.
0 Kudos
MatthewLenox
New Contributor II
No they are not stored in an ArcSDE geodatabase.  The FC's are stored in personal geodatabases.  But if they were from what you suggested, that would be the solution I am looking for! 

It's possible the data will be in a ArcSDE geodatabase in the future and if that's the case I will look into replication. 

THANKS!!
0 Kudos