Simple Script or Tool? Cut / Split Line at Intersecting Polygon

12-18-2012 11:03 AM
DinahOliver
New Contributor
I am trying to split water features (lines) that intersect with reservoirs (polygons).  I have lines that overlap with the polygons and I need to cut / split the lines where they intersect with the polygon.  The problem is that I have ArcView 9.2, can't purchase XTools Pro or ET Geowizard and am having trouble with a VBA Script.  Anyone have any suggestions or know of other free tools?

Thank you,
D. Oliver
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DavidPetrey1
New Contributor III
Hi,

The following might help:

-use the Clip tool to clip your lines by your reservoir polygons
-Create a new polygon dataset and digitise a polygon large enough to cover all the lines in your original line dataset
-Union the new polygon created above with your reservoir polygon dataset, then Start Editing the Union output and Select out the polygons matching your reservoirs polygons and delete them from the Union dataset. Save and Stop Editing.
-Next, Clip your original lines with the Union output above.
-You should now have 2 line datasets split at the boundaries of your reservoirs. Use the Merge tool to create a single dataset. You might also have to use the Multipart to Singlepart tool to separate any multipart lines.
-This process could probably be joined together in ModelBuilder if you needed to repeat it again and again.

I hope that helps. It looks like a long process but depending on how large your datasets are it shouldn't take too long. If it helps please mark the question as answered so others are aware.

Regards,
David

simplyGIS Ltd. Making GIS simple.
www.simplygis.co.uk/GISTraining.html
0 Kudos
JanetBrewster
Occasional Contributor II
Try the "Split" tool on the Editor toolbar (you have to be in an editing session). If you have your snapping set to the edge of your polygon, it'll split the line it right there. This is how I did it in 9.3.1 -- I don't recall if 9.2 has the same features....
0 Kudos