Snapping Tool Probel Again

08-21-2012 08:47 PM
DXXX
by
New Contributor III
I have 500 points and 500 lines. I want to snap the end of the lines to the points in a batch. I do not want to have to do them manually as it will take ages. I have used topology to show the errors which is a problem in it self because it I only want to snap one end of the line to a point. The topology tool shows that one end is snapped but the other end is not snapped to anything. this is ok.
When i use the snapping tool box tool i keep getting an error 000800 the value is not a member of END,Vertex,Edge.
Description
The keyword used is not a member of the list of acceptable keywords.
Solution
Alter the keyword used to a member of the list provided. For more information on what each keyword signifies, check the tool's help.

Any ideas or will I have to go manually.
Tags (2)
1 Reply
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
If you want to hold your points but snap your lines, in your geodatabase topology you can vary the tolerance after setting the points as the priority, and any line endpoints closer than the tolerance to the point will be moved to it.

Alternately you could use the Integrate tool to do something similar.

Do both on copies or make backups since either changes the input dataset.

ET Geowizards has a polyline global snap wizard it is not one of the free functions.

If you are okay with moving the points to snap to the lines there are several other options.  Google on "ArcGIS batch snap lines" to get many suggestions including using the Near tool, some Arcscripts and Hawth's Analysis Tools.  Hawth's tools won't work in 10x unless you have installed VBA but their successor tools, Geospatial Modeling Environment, should.
0 Kudos