Spatial reference error when loading data into new SDE

09-06-2011 12:19 PM
JasonMcNees
New Contributor II
My DBA set up a new Oracle instance for me (10g) and installed a brand new blank 9.3.1 SDE in it.

I'm connected as the SDE Admin and I started loading some sample layers into it (shapefiles) using the "Import Feature Class - Single" tool in ArcCatalog 9.3.1, just to play around and test things out. 

With any shapefile I try to load, I get an error in the progress window that states "ERROR 000372: Spatial Reference for output is invalid, Please update to allow output to become valid
Failed to execute (FeatureClassToFeatureClass)."

However, the process doesn't actually fail - it does put the layer into the SDE and it draws like it should if I add it into an ArcMap view. 

Searching the forums, I found an earlier thread where a suggestion was made to click "Tools-Options", then go on the Geoprocessing tab, click "Environments", then "Geodatabase Settings", and set Spatial Index 1 to a very large number like 50000.  I tried that, but then if I load a layer I get an error stating "ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
Underlying DBMS error[Error executing PL/SQL Block db_stgeom_create_index::ORA-29855: error occurred in the execution of ODCIINDEXCREATE routine
ORA-00911: invalid character]
DBMS table not found[ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
Failed to execute (FeatureClassToFeatureClass)."

If I go back and change that index back to 0 in the Environments window, then I go back to getting the first error I mentioned, though as I said, it does actually put the layer in the SDE even though it says it failed.

Does anyone know what is going on here and how to fix it?  I just completed some SDE training and am pretty new at this, but I don't remember a mention of anything like this in the class.

Thanks!

Jason M.
Conservation Data Analyst - NatureServe
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jeri_SuePonder
New Contributor
Did you find out what was causing this?  I'm having the same problem but in SQL Server.
0 Kudos
NanaDei
Esri Contributor
1. Do you encounter a similar error when one of the shapefiles is loaded into a File geodatabase?
2. If step 1 succeeds, copy/paste the file geodatabase feature class into the sde geodatabase to check whether the same error is encountered.
3. Can you zip one of the shapefiles for testing?
   - small number of features will suffice.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Jeri_SuePonder
New Contributor
1. Do you encounter a similar error when one of the shapefiles is loaded into a File geodatabase?

I can go to a file geodatabase with no problems.

2. If step 1 succeeds, copy/paste the file geodatabase feature class into the sde geodatabase to check whether the same error is encountered.

I really can't copy/paste the data into SDE - large amount of data - Tiger files for all 50 states

3. Can you zip one of the shapefiles for testing?

And yes I can sent you a small zip file.

I'm trying to load the Tiger data with a script into State databases in SDE.
0 Kudos
AbhijeetKulkarni
Occasional Contributor
Anybody got solution?

I am also facing same situation.Trying to import data from shape file to SDE GDB using python script.

Jeri,
1. I can import my shape file into file GDB without issue.
2. When I try to copy/paste file from FGDB ro SDE GDB error occures and same as Jason.

Since more than one people facing similer issue, should it be some typical SDE issue?
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Abhijeet,

What user are you connected to your database as?  If you are using the SDE user, try creating a new user who's default tablespace is different than SDE.  Then see if you receive the same error message when attempting to load data into the geodatabase.  We recommend that you don't load data as the SDE user.
0 Kudos
BirajaNayak
Esri Contributor
Rebuild the spatial index by following the below commands to take care of the ora-000372 error:

Here are the commands (with sample output) that you would use on the server side:

1) The first command will put the feature class in load only mode, and will delete the spatial index:

sdelayer -o load_only_io -l streets,shape -i esri_sde -u test -p test

ArcSDE 9.3  for Oracle10g Build 2784 Tue Dec 27 10:51:14  2011
Layer    Administration Utility
-----------------------------------------------------
Layer is now in LOAD-ONLY I/O mode.

2) The second command will calculate the spatial index grids:

sdelayer -o alter -g automatic -l streets,shape -i esri_sde -u test -p test

Change spatial index from SPIDX_GRID,0.0022,FULL
                       to SPIDX_AUTOMATIC
Are you sure? (Y/N): y
Successfully Modified the Layer
Successfully changed spatial index parameters
Layer is in LOAD-ONLY mode

3) The third command will place the feature class back in Normal I/O mode, rebuilding the spatial index.

sdelayer -o normal_io -l streets,shape -i esri_sde -u test -p test

Layer is now in NORMAL I/O mode.

Note: Make sure you supply the right information for the -i, -u , and -p options. These correspond to the service name, username (data owner), and password, respectively.
0 Kudos