Syncronizing the child replica -issues

07-12-2012 05:36 PM
AntonyPaul_M1
New Contributor III
Hi All,

I am in the process of testing my syncronization for the replica which I created.

I got my parent geodatabase in ArcSDE and Oracle. ArcGIS version 9.3.1 SP2
Child geodatbase as File geodatabase. Its a one way replication from SDE to FGDB
I have created the replica from the default version.

I did the following things for testing.

• I truncated one of the layer with sdelayer truncate and sdetable truncate

• Then I synchronized it with Child it worked. Child also get truncated

• Then I append the same Featureclass with few features

• I did the synch again its starting but failing with ArcGIS desktop error mesage and the entire catalog become not responding.

I have enclosed the error mesage I am getting.

Could please help me out with thoughts, highly appreciated thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Hi,

ArcSDE commands are not "geodatabase aware", which means they do not update geodatabase system tables. They are legacy utilities from a time before the geodatabase existed.  If your data participates in any geodatabase functionality, including replication, you should not use ArcSDE data management commands with the data.

-Kim
0 Kudos
AntonyPaul_M1
New Contributor III
Hi Kim,

Thanks for that.

So how it reacts to the bulk data load?

One more question I have to ask?

I got my parent geodatabase schema size 70G and I am going to  replicate whole schema to the work site?

Is that good idea, I worry about the performance of my child replica(FGDB)

Could you please advice me on this?

Cheers
Antony
0 Kudos
HeatherMcCracken
Esri Contributor
The file geodatabase should perform fine in this scenario - in general, it's performance should be on par with an SDE geodatabase.

For the replica creation - you could consider first copying the data outside of the replication process since you are replicating everything.  And then Create a Replica with the "Register existing data only" option.  This option simply confirms that the data is there on the child and just registers the replica on the system, which takes very little time.

-Heather
0 Kudos
AntonyPaul_M1
New Contributor III
Hi Thanks for the Support,

I have few more concerns here,

I have created the replica (one way -File geodatabase).

Now we have testing the replica like,

Got a test dataset,

1. Test 1

Open the test dataset via ArcMAP , and opened the EDIT session and did manual edidting. saved
Synchronized then the changes reflected in Child goedatabase- Success

1. Test 2

Create Python script that will delete the Test feature class ( Delete from ArctoolBox) and then append the FC with new data.
Script worked fine
Synched it with child worked fine. Success

Did the same one by one for the remaining four Feature classes , all worked good -Success

1. Test 3

We tried to create this as a batch file so we joined this script it worked fine till 3rd FC then started throwing errors from the fourth onwards. I have attached the screenshot of the error.

I tried manual editing with the FC then it saying that it is not registered as versioned? Suprprised to see that becuase it is verisioned and already a part of the replica

I tried to Synch, synch worked fine took four hours to complete. While synching when check the status of the SDE status it is saying 'Database is not available or killed'

But still I could able to connect to the SDE from Catalog. This eventully force me to restart the service.

Attachment 1 : Python script error while updating the parent data
Attachment 2: SDE status - but still able to connect with database
Attachment 3: Mesage when tried to edit the versioned data through ArcMAP

Your suggestions are highly appreciated.

Note:Why we follow this test procedure is our Parent geodatabase have few data load happening through XMi utility, this will delete the existing featured in few FC's and update with latest data. We need to ensure that this will work with the replication environemt.

Cheers
Antony
0 Kudos