Select to view content in your preferred language

TIff and GEOTIff

12-07-2010 05:17 AM
RobertBuckley
New Contributor III
Hi,

I need to produce some Geotiffs for other departments. Some of my images are in Tiff format but with a world file. How could I easily convert these to geotiffs? I am assuming that there is a difference between the two formats!!

Also, is there any other way to export a map into geotiff other than through arcmap? I have a pretty large area showing vector daten and complicated symbology. When I export to geotiff through arcmap I either get a very pixelled image because the dpi is too low, or the symbology is ruined because the dpi is too high!!!  There must be other ways to export to geotiff other than through ArcMAP???

Thanks for any help,

yours,

Robert Buckley
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
If you can find a copy of GeoTiff Examiner I would use it.  If you cannot, you might try the TatukGIS viewer or Microdem.  I haven't used either of these two.  Another possibility is to download and use listgeo and geotifcp.
0 Kudos
RobertBerger
New Contributor III
Hi Robert,

Have you tried to see if a simple copy-raster will create a tiff file without the world file? Even with the world file, you probably want to include the coordinate system information (if WGS84, etc). You can use data export in ArcMap (right click on the raster layer > data > export data) and choose the spatial reference from current data frame rather than from the original raster dataset.
If you already know the correct spatial reference, then you can also set that in the copy raster geoprocessing environment settings.

Robert
0 Kudos