Upgrade Geodatabase

01-18-2012 10:16 PM
obelgrubelobelgrubel
New Contributor
Dear experts,

Currently I am in the middle of upgrading process of ArcSDE Oracle geodatabase 9.3.1 to 10.
I encounter error :

Could not add item to catalog (GISADMIN.SCALE1000).
Linestring or poly boundary is self-intersecting

The system tables are stored in SDE schema, and the user data is stored in another user schemas. I am starting upgrade from SDE schema first (connect as SDE user and click the Upgrade button).

Questions are :
1. How to skip this error ? I will find a lot of errors like this and its just impossible to fix it within days as there are so many objects. I just want to skip this error checking and do the upgrade
2. If I uncheck the "Perform Pre-requisite check" and check "Upgrade geodatabase", what will happen ? Whats the worst that can happen ?
I have read from the site that Pre-requisite check DO NOT include topology check.. (http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//0017000000q7000000)
Thanks for any helps
0 Kudos
8 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I would recommend executing the Repair Geometry tool on the GISADMIN.SCALE1000 feature class.  After doing so, try the upgrade again and see if you receive the same error message for this feature class.
0 Kudos
obelgrubelobelgrubel
New Contributor
Thanks for the reply,

I do not want to repair anything... FYI, "SDE geodatabases automatically check and repair feature geometries when the features are uploaded to the database, so using the Check Geometry and Repair Geometry tools with SDE feature classes is unnecessary" (http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00170000003v000000)

If I uncheck the "Perform Pre-requisite check", what will happen ? Anyone has ever tried ?

Thanks
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
The Prerequisite check saves you from starting the upgrade only to have it fail partway through due to one of these prerequisites not having been met.  Unchecking 'Perform Prerequisite check' will attempt to upgrade the database, but since the prerequisite check failed the database upgrade will most likely fail as well. 

You can try the following:

1.  If the erroneous feature class is versioned, reconcile and post all versions
2.  Copy the feature class to a File Geodatabase
3.  Delete the feature class from SDE
4.  Execute the Prerequisite check to see if you still receive the same error

If you don't receive the error you can go ahead and upgrade the geodatabase and then copy the feature class back into SDE.
0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor
Please contact Technical Support and log an incident to have this issue examined.  They will need to reproduce the issue, so they will ask for a database dump.  This is the best way to handle this issue, you may be running into a legitimate bug that we need to examine.

If you just run the Upgrade without the Pre-Requisite check, the Upgrade will probably fail since the same checks are performed.
0 Kudos
obelgrubelobelgrubel
New Contributor
Hi...

Finally I manage to successfully upgrade the SDE. Like Jake said, I remove erroneous FC and do the upgrade with "Perform Pre-requisites" checked...

Why does the "Perform Pre-requisites" do topology check ???  Since topology is optional, a FC can contain erroneous objects such as self-intersecting lines. The data do not have to be correct to be inside a database... :confused:

Okay then.. This case is solved !

Thanks Jake. Thanks Craig.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
I'm not sure the prerequisite check validates external (featuredataset) topology, but it does scan
for corrupt geometries (the "self-intersecting" message is not due to an optional ArcGIS topology).
The data *should* be correct to be inside the database. ArcSDE performs referential integrity
checks before accepting features for insertion into the database. If invalid features are present,
this represents a serious issue (especially with ST_GEOMETRY, SDEBINARY, or SDELOB storage),
which is why Craig urged you to contact Tech Support.

The purpose of the 'Prerequisite Check' checkbox is to avoid an undo after the actual upgrade
fails because prerequisites are not met. If you run a prerequisite check *only*, find problems,
fix them, run another, and the database is clean, *then* you can un-check the box to avoid
another long-running check before the actual upgrade starts (this is "best practice" methodology).

- V
0 Kudos
TimDine
Occasional Contributor II
I had a feature class as well that had this error while upgrading from 9.3.1 to 10.1.  The prerequisite check did not find anything wrong.  The feature class seemed fine in place and I could copy the feature class, but not rename it.  Since this was a simple unversioned feature class with no relationships I made a new featureclass and imported all the properties from the original (projection, fields, etc.) and loaded the data from one to the other then deleted the original feature class.  At this point I could upgrade the geodatabase.  I wasn't able to find a tool to run on the feature class in place to clean up the issue.
0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor
Tim et al,

To clarify this issue; it has nothing to do with Topology, as was alluded to earlier in the thread.

The issue is due to an error when writing layer extents to the new geodatabase schema. All sites that have reported this issue have resolved it using some variation of the steps that Tim used in the previous post.

We'd like to get a reproducible case for this so we can track down the issue and correct it in the core software.  If anyone has a repro case for this, please contact Technical Support, indicate this thread and have Technical Support contact me.

thanks,
0 Kudos