Upgrade to 10.1 error Cannot upgrade a user schema geodatabase

Jump to solution
08-29-2012 07:18 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: nsridb

We are trying to upgrade a version 10.0 64 bit arcsde to a 10.1 64bit version (on Red Hat 5 64bit, Oracle 11 64bit).

We are getting the error message:
Cannot upgrade a user schema geodatabase
when the master schema geodatabase is at a previous release.
The master schema geodatabase must be upgraded first.

Unfortunately we don't have any user schema geodatabases as far as I can tell so can anyone tell me what the problem is.

I've checked the geodatabases using sdemon -o info -I instance and only the SDE master geodatabase appears.

Any help?
0 Kudos
20 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Paulg

Hi ,

I still have the issue, I've tried everything (at least I think I have) -
1) uninstalled and reinstalled Oracle Clients - no joy.
2) Using Arccatalog I dropped all data in each schema - no joy. 
3) Dropped each user that could ever have been in the database except obviously SDE and the generic Oracle Schemas. - no Joy
4) tried the python script to upgrade - same errors - management.py error on line 4063 as well as the usual entry in the log - no joy
5) restarted db server etc.  - no joy

6) Stuck

Its a resonably big database 500gb, so the verison I have now has nothing in it and wont upgrade! - so we have to get the dba to do the space recovery on it so we can export it and send it to Esri Support - apparently this could take days.

So any response you get on your support ticket could you post it please incase it helps me.

Paulg
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm sure it's something to do with the direct connect method. Have you checked your TNSNAMES.ora and SQLNET.ora files are correct and are in the directory pointed to by the TNS_NAMES environment variable?

My colleague was also using a full client install of oracle and he was getting the problem doing the upgrade, so it may not be as simple as InstantClient vs Full Client. It may however have something to do with a 32 bit client rather than a 64 bit client.
0 Kudos
PaulGrimes
New Contributor III
Thanks,

Your far off the mark...  Its sorted thanks to the great detective work of a Support DBA in Esri-UK ( wont name just in case!)  he persisted and tried every option and discovered the solution to my problem.

Use a 32 bit client in the client machine, take a look at the sqlnet.ora file and ensure the ezconnect is first  eg .. NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (EZCONNECT,TNSNAMES)

The from arcGis client do an 'Easy Connect' style connection to the database .... see http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00290000003q000000

I used <servername>:<port>:<instance name> logged in as sde user and all worked like a dream.

I hope this helps anybody in the same situation.

Paulg
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Interesting though I don't have ezconnect in the sqlnet.ora file and it worked for me. Glad you found a solution that works for you.
0 Kudos
MuneebAnsari
New Contributor II
Hi, ESRI is aware of this upgrade issue and a software bug has been logged: "NIM084987-When upgrading an ArcGIS 10 SP5 geodatabase to ArcGIS 10.1, while connecting with the syntax  'sde: oracle11g:TNSNAME' the upgrade fails with the error 'ERROR: geodatabase schema object install not completed (-522)."

http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/TklNMDg0OTg3

-The workaround for this bug is to use the easy connect syntax to connect to the geodatabase or if you have the TNSNAME entry setup for the Oracle client, just make a connection to the Oracle geodatabase by typing only the TNSNAME in the 'Instance' textbox.
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: andymartushev

I was seeing the same issue.

I resolved my problem by changing my connection instance to  ip_address/servicename  (sample 10.200.100.90/ora)
0 Kudos
MariaThors
New Contributor II
Hi, ESRI is aware of this upgrade issue and a software bug has been logged: "NIM084987-When upgrading an ArcGIS 10 SP5 geodatabase to ArcGIS 10.1, while connecting with the syntax  'sde: oracle11g:TNSNAME' the upgrade fails with the error 'ERROR: geodatabase schema object install not completed (-522)."

-The workaround for this bug is to use the easy connect syntax to connect to the geodatabase or if you have the TNSNAME entry setup for the Oracle client, just make a connection to the Oracle geodatabase by typing only the TNSNAME in the 'Instance' textbox.

Thanks a lot, this resolved my problem!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: PeterES

I used this to fix this problem as well. This was an upgrade from 10.0 to 10.1 on Oracle 11g. A simple fix if you can find the bug.
0 Kudos
TomSchuller
Occasional Contributor III

Hy,

I just got it fixed by inluding the database @<instance name> in the password field:

Like this:

DataBase instance: GIS

Username: sde

Password: sde@GIS

Running under 10.3 with oracle on Linux

Tom

LanceVarney
New Contributor II

Thank you Tom!  This solved it for me.  I actually was upgrading from 10.0 sde to 10.22 sde.

0 Kudos