version of Microsoft ODBC driver for SQL Server 2022 but with SQL set to 2019 compatibility mode to work with ArcMap?

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
Labels (2)
AndreaB_
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

We are mainly using ArcGIS Pro 3.2.2 but we have some users still on ArcMap 10.8.x. Our geodatabase is in SQL Server 2022 with compatibility mode set to 2019 (so ArcMap can connect to it). I was under the assumption, then, that our computers would need Microsoft ODBC driver 17 for SQL Server. Here is the info I got from Esri websites:

ArcMap 10.8.x: Supported SQL Server clients are as follows:

• SQL Server 2019
  • Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server

With Pro 3.2. Supported minimum SQL Server clients are as follows:

• SQL Server 2022
  • Microsoft ODBC Driver 18.1 for SQL Server**

However, I have a user getting error message: "Failure to access the DBMS server [Failure to access the DBMS server] [layer name][STATE_ID = 281898]"

What version of Microsoft ODBC Driver for SQL Server do we need in this environment?

Thank you,

Andrea

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@AndreaB_ - You cannot have both ODBC 18 and 17 installed on the same machine, the workaround is to uninstall ODBC 18 and keep only ODBC 17, then both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro will be able to connect.  I mention this issue in my community.esri.com white paper below.

How to Install the SQL Server Client for ArcGIS?
| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

AndreaB_
Occasional Contributor

The error was coming from ArcGIS Pro. All machines have 1 version of 17 ODBC. But not that latest one you mention. So I can try that too. Thank you. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Where are you getting the error - ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro? Are you installing both the ODBC drivers on every client machine?

Which version of Microsoft ODBC driver 17 did you install? Try installing the latest available Version 17.10.6 and check.

AndreaB_
Occasional Contributor

The error was coming from ArcGIS Pro. All machines have 1 version of 17 ODBC. But not that latest one you mention. So I can try that too. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@AndreaB_ - You cannot have both ODBC 18 and 17 installed on the same machine, the workaround is to uninstall ODBC 18 and keep only ODBC 17, then both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro will be able to connect.  I mention this issue in my community.esri.com white paper below.

How to Install the SQL Server Client for ArcGIS?
| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
AndreaB_
Occasional Contributor

Yeah makes sense. There might be more going on with our system than just the ODBC client. But at least we know that part is correct. Thanks!

0 Kudos