Visual specification

09-04-2013 09:40 PM
HitomiMaezawa1
New Contributor
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with using visual specification in Production Symbology tool bar.

I am trying to create a set of symbology using Visual Specifications,

and apply that to another map which has same field names since I use SQL statement to set symbology.

According to help, I just have to import the visual specifications that I have already created for another map,

but it does not get reflcted in new map even though the specification IS imported since I can see them under

"Calculated Representations" tab.

Strangely, if I edit something in specifications and apply it, all the symbology get reflected and solves the problem,

but I would like to get it reflected without doing anything.

Does anyone have an idea?

Anything will be my help, thanks in advance!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
WilliamMortimer
New Contributor III

Hi Hitomi,

2 things could be happening - The first time you run the visual spec tool - It should create 3 new fields on your dataset -

• Rule ID
  • Rule ID overide
  • Blob

if these fields are created but show <null> values you will either need to force the vst to apply by using 'field calc' command, running the toolbox function - or what you are doing via the edit > update etc. Its described here in detail

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

There is also a check box somewhere (calc fields tab down the bottom of the dialog?) that refers to update. Try toggling this. This halts the update because otherwise your specs might recalculate after 1 edit etc.

The easiest way to see if your visual spec has not been applied correctly is that you will get 'red - unplaced' symbology for features are missing or the rules dont match. There is also a arctoolbox fuction that can find those elements as well.

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Hope this helped in some way,

William

0 Kudos