Select to view content in your preferred language

Want to delete data outside of a custom extent

06-24-2014 01:30 PM
RyanConnelly
New Contributor
Hi, I'm back.

So I've successfully clipped the extent of all of my layers by drawing a polygon from the Draw toolbar and then going into the Data Frame Properties of the layer and clipping by that polygon.  However, when I go into the data attribute table for any of my point feature classes, they still have the same number of records as they did before the clip.

I need to actually remove all data that is outside of the clipped extent from my tables.  Not sure if it would help anyway, but I apparently don't have whatever license is needed for the Erase tool.

Is this doable without it?

Thanks,
Ryan
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
RyanConnelly
New Contributor
ArcGIS 10.2.1

And no, the word is not grayed out.
0 Kudos
RobertParty
New Contributor III
I am looking and cant find anywhere that says that the editor toolbar is only available in certain levels of ArcGIS licensing. I would try going into the customize menu and select extensions and put a check by any of them that you can, it might help. I am running the 60 free trail and i know it comes with a bunch of extra stuff, but it think the tool bar should work in the standard version.
0 Kudos
RyanConnelly
New Contributor
I got the editor to wake up.  I just had to select which geodatabase I'm working in (I actually have data from two places in the same document, but that doesn't matter because everything I want to manipulate now is in the same one).

But now after I click Create Features, my Construction Tools box only has "Point" and "Point at end of line" as options.  Your example was a point layer but still had Polygon as an option.
0 Kudos
RobertParty
New Contributor III
i had a point layer that i was clipping, but i made a polygon layer to clip it. right click on your geodatabase and select new feature class and give it a name and make the type Polygon Features, then when you start editing make sure that the feature class is selected and you should be able to draw a polygon!
0 Kudos