workspace suddenly becomes read-only

11-20-2012 06:17 AM
MatthewFoster
New Contributor II
Hi Everyone,
This is driving me crazy.  I will be working on editing a point shapefile (or feature class in a file geodatabase), adding points and an attribute for the ID as I go along.  I can save the edits as I go (and I do), but after a few saves, the shapefile or feature class suddenly becomes read-only - or at least, that is what ArcGIS tells me, "Unable to save edits. Workspace or data source is read only".  I never set anything to read only, and after successfully saving my file 3 times (in the latest case) it decides to give me this error on the fourth time!  I have tried putting the geodatabase in a different directory, I've tried as a shapefile... Any ideas?  This has happened repeatedly with different projects lately.  Very frustrating

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Tags (2)
75 Replies
PatriciaSinel
New Contributor
I am running ArcGIS 10.1 (Desktop) with SP1.  I keep getting the message ""Unable to save edits. Workspace or data source is read only" as well.  Have any solutions been discovered?
0 Kudos
LanceShipman
Esri Regular Contributor
Are any of you running on a network drive? Is anyone viewing the data while you are editing the data? If they are you may seen behavior like this. Note this is by process, not user. I you are editing the data and you have ArcCatalog open then you may be blocking the the save of edits and receive an error of this nature.

Please contact Technical Support and have them help you with this issue.
0 Kudos
GISTeam4
Occasional Contributor
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. Nowhere can I find any solution. I had some geometry problems with my feature class, but even after fixing that, it still happened. Today I have enabled caching for my layer, and it seems to work. It still happened, but much less often; in the three hours after enabling caching it has only locked up once, and also it's crashed once. Maybe that doesn't sound that good, but when it locks up on you every 5 minutes, it's really something.
I noticed in my task manager (the famous ctr alt del) that the cache manager kept running even when I exit ArcGIS; that's how I came up with the guess it could be something to do with caching. It might be worth a try. Also some program called AppROT EXE keeps running after closing ArcMAP. ArcGIS Connection also doesn't properly exit after closing ArcMAP. It annoys me 'cause I like stuff to behave neatly. Maybe it causes some of the problems.
I notice that when I'm very careful and do not edit many features at the same time, and be sure selections are cleared before saving, and wait patiently for one small thing to finish (for example just selecting one feature) before doing something else (enter an new attribute), the program locks up less often. But it doesn't only lock up. Sometimes it just all crashes on me. Yesterday I have sent like twenty error reports.
Normally I don't reply or post on internet but knowing it really can drive you mad not to mention all the work you can lose (I now save after every edit, annoying but not so annoying as to lose it all) I decided to pop this in. Hope it helps.
Good luck and keep saving.

P.S. I use stand alone ArcGIS basic license only so it couldn't be server related. I have ESRI ArcMAP 10.1 and recently installed service pack 1 for Desktop.
I work on an existing feature class (file geodatabase), I only adjust attributes and some merging/splitting the features (they are polygons). Very simple work, shouldn't give any problems, right? A very simple feature class too. No joins/relates, no nothing. Some of the attributes are using a domain, the rest is all simple text or numbers.

-EDIT- These four things seem to have done it for me;
1. Do not enable ArcGIS connection
2. Enable caching: Layers properties, auto cache.
3. Check geometry and fix when there are problems (these tools you can find in the toolbox)
4. Work slowly and carefully, maybe not the fastest way to work but it works. And you work carefully, so less mistakes (at least that's my thoughts). Be careful not to have too many features selected and don't edit a whole load of features at once.

Can't promiss anything but it might take away a lot of irritation!
0 Kudos
KevinMayo
New Contributor II
Add me to the list.  This just started happening.  I disabled the ArcGIS Online Connection and it seemed to work.  Not ideal though because I regularly use basemap layers from ArcGIS Online for reference.  Please fix this ESRI.
0 Kudos
PatriciaSinel
New Contributor
I have contacted ESRI Support three times about this problem.  After lengthy e-mails, chats, and phone calls, I still don't have a solution.  I have enabled auto-caching, verified numerous permissions, shared my screen, changed my template name, remade my entire projects and exported my shapefiles into geodatabases.  ESRI has no solution at this time, and tells me there could be a variety of issues of why my workspace becomes read-only and my edits can't be saved.  I noticed the error messages started after I loaded 10.1.  I am running ArcGIS for desktop (standalone) on Windows 7.
0 Kudos
TiffanyStram
New Contributor III
I'm having the same problem.  It happens randomly, but often, and it's only happened since I've upgraded to 10.1 (SP1 is installed).  It happened to a feature class created before upgrading and to a feature class created after upgrading.  ArcMap has been the only thing open that would access the data.  The geodatabase is on my hard drive and not shared with anyone.  I'm using Windows 7, SP1, 64-bit.  Not only is this frustrating - having to save often since I don't know when it won't save, but is my geodatabase going to be corrupted?
0 Kudos
PatriciaSinel
New Contributor
This is what I received today from Tech Support.  No real fix, but it tends to fix most performance issues according to the analyst.

"Have you tried resetting the registry keys? 1. Navigate to the Start Menu 2. Navigate to Run? 3. Type in "regedit" (to open the registry editor) 4. Click OK 5. Expand on the "hkey current user" folder in the folder tree 6. Expand on the "software" folder 7. Right click on the "ESRI" folder and rename the folder "ESRIold" Tab"
0 Kudos
PatriciaSinel
New Contributor
This is the latest I get:

Now they tell me it may be a problem with my virus protection.

"This is an inconsistent behavior and to get it resolved we will have to narrow down the issue by using possible troubleshooting steps as there are no bugs reported having to do with this specific issue."

I find it hard to believe I am the only one to report this issue.
0 Kudos
rususorin
New Contributor
Just ran into this problem the other day. Nothing worked: I tried creating a new geodatabase, exported the files. Finally gave up and after a re-install this problem didn't appear anymore.

Simple "fix" might just be a re-install.
0 Kudos
SarahSkalon
New Contributor II
I just ran into the same problem today in ArcMap 10.1. I was working for about an hour, saving as I went and out of nowhere, the workspace was read-only. I tried to export the "read-only" layer and it popped up another box giving me an error. My fix was to exit out of ArcMap, get back in, and re-export the layer again. This time, it exported with no issues. It's not really a "solution" because I lost all of my edits, but it's better than losing the entire layer I guess.
0 Kudos